Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys.....It is time and need some tips on the most preferred way is,to change your own oil........Just purchased some "Rhino" ramps and have my jack stands ready!! The MY Z06 has 485 miles and at 500,I want to change the oil,just in case any debris is floating around the oil pan.....
Thanks ahead of time!!
Zman

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Put it on the ramps and drain the oil. then jack up the rear of the car a few inchs higher than the front. I didn't use jackstands because I didn't know where to place them. Of course I didn't get under the car at this time either. When the oil was done draining I lowered the rear of the car. Then the oil filter that is very tight is removed. I had bought a UPF44 AC filter. Its the better filter. If you have that filter, the stock filter is not the same size for a oil filter socket. :eek: then their is the arguement of how much oil to refill the car with. I believe that if you lift the rear of the car and get all the oil out it will take 7 qts to fill it to the full line on the dipstick. If the oil is drained on a flat lift then it will take 6.5 qts to get it tot he full line on the dipstick. My car took 7 qts.

What part of WV are you from? I am from Weirton, but live in GA for the past 11 years.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
My preferred way is to take it to the oil change place. :D

By the way when the oil use % gets down to 5%, it comes on each time you start up the car. Mine is down to 4% so I think I will get it changed today, or tomorrow.

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
The easy way with minimal effort: Drive the rear onto 2 short pieces of 2x4 just to raise the rear an inch or so. Put a jack on the left rear jacking point and raise the left side a few inches. Crawl under from the left side to remove the drain plug and filter. No ramps needed. Use a jack stand if you want to be safe while you are under the car. Crawl out, lower the jack and let the rear wheels sit on the 2x4s so all the oil drains out (drain plug is in the front of the pan). I usually give it a half hour. Now crank the jack a few cranks, crawl back under and put on new filter and reinstall plug, add oil and you are set. It is recommended that the car sit for 20 minutes or so before starting after the oil is put in. Something to do with getting the oil back into the pan and the way it is designed on a C5. That is why I do it myself, the extra height on the rear by being on the boards gets all the oil out and I will let it sit for awhile after adding oil. It is unlikely you would get that service at an oil change place.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Also, when doing that first oil change on any new car, I carefully cut the old oil filter apart to see if there are any things caught in the filter (metal bits, etc) which should not be there. Changed my oil at about 950 miles and the filter was perfect! :D

·
Registered
620 Posts
Rippied,
Changed oil many times in C5's but I do not understand why you use the boards under the rear tires. Why not just leave the jack up in the rear to drain the oil instead of lowering it onto the boards?
I just jack up the rear and use a jack stand in the front. Seems easy to me.
I also use a wheel chock on the front wheels.
Just curious.:)

I, like others, am not sure how much oil to put back in the Z.
I put 6 3/4 quarts in mine and it still shows at the add mark on the dipstick. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the tip on letting fresh oil sit in the engine for 20 minutes before starting. We should fill the oil filter with oil also before installing it. Probably a good idea for all cars.
Something else anal I do is write the date on the oil filter, just in case. Of course I put it in my log too.

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Corvette Dave, I put the rear on boards because of the ride height of my car, I can't get the jack under it without driving it on boards first. So, since they are under the tires, I just lower it back down on them to drain the oil while the car is level right to left. I have read that you only need the rear a little higher than the front to get all the oil out. Sometimes I think the problem some have with the right amount of oil to use is because they don't get all the old oil out. Like you, I use about 6 3/4 qts. You are also right about prefilling the filter. :cheers:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Rippied,
Good answer!
Mine is lowered 1 1/4 inches and my jack will still fit under the rear, just barely. I have to take the saddle off the jack, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts