Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv'e hit 1500 hundred miles and time for an oil change can i do it myself or do I let the cavalier mechanic do the job at the dealer?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I am going to start changing mine also and this is what I was told.

You should drive the back tires up onto a 2X4 so that the car is leaning forward. My friend said that it will take about an hour to drain. You may then want to take about a 1/2 qt of oil and pour into the oil spout so that it can wash out any extra old oil. The oil filter is just within reach from the driver side. You should only have to squeeze a little way under the car. I was also told that you probably do not need to pour any additional oil into the filter. It should take about 6 qt, then start and let it run. Kill the engine and wait about 3 or 4 minutes then check the oil and top off if needed.

I have not done it yet. I live in Minnesota and have had the car in the garage since driving it back from the Museum. It only has about 900 miles so far.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I needed 7 Qts to get a fill on the stick despite it saying approx. 6.5 in the manual. and I took mine to a lube joint where they allow supervision and who offered a pit to avoid lifting damage. Delco filter which was $8 from fichtner chevrolet (who I asked to support the forum and have not heard back yet). Also consider the magnetic drain plug change out. $2-4 at a chevy dealer..... enjoy!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Little question on the magnetic drain plug... somewhere, someone said everything that could shave off metal (and/or end up as shavings) inside the engine was aluminum. IF that is the case, what good is the magnet?

HarleyB

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The engine is sleeved in steel, the crank and cam are steel as are the lifters, get the magnetic drain plug because it will pickup metal shavings.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
FYI:
The GM p.n. for the magnetic drain plug is 24100042.

Zippy /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Red Z

·
Registered
528 Posts

On 2001-03-30 00:36, Zippy spewed forth this drivel:
FYI:
The GM p.n. for the magnetic drain plug is 24100042.

Red Z
Thanks Zippy, I've been looking for that number.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks Redshift!!! I followed your instructions and everything went smooth. Isn't this what these fourms are all about!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Hey:

So glad to hear it went well. Anything is easy with preparation and good instructions. I wasn't alone doing those instructions - not only did a local friend help me, but they have been updated over time as comments have come in, so they're really a compilation of tips and tricks from lots of people. I use them myself when I do the oil change.

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Earlier today I talked to the parts department at Les Stanford Chevrolet in Dearborn, Michigan. I was informed that the current part number for the magnetic oil pan drain plug is 88891787. This supercedes (replaces) part number 24100042 that I posted previously. However, your friendly dealership should be able to cross-reference these part numbers on their computer....Sorry, if this may have caused any heartburn with anyone.

Red/Black Z06, Corsa Indys w/GTR tips.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts