Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High performance cars tend to consume more oil due to the fact that they operate at Higher temp...ie. the vaporize the oil under the thermal stresses of use ..that is not the same as an old car that burns oils through worn mechanicals eg. pistons,valve stems and springs and oil starvation stress.
I asked a guy who has raced ferrari 355 as part of his club race program in Ct. he said not to worry and enjoy this car.. He said it represents tremendous value and performance..

·
Registered
906 Posts
This will be GREAT news to all concerned...if it holds true. We'll see if the General goes along with this thinking. He would sure save a whole $&#+load of dough, by NOT having to replace rings or engines! SILVERBULLITT...I hope you're right!

HarleyB

·
Registered
362 Posts
On 2001-03-26 13:03, SILVERBULLITT spewed forth this drivel:
High performance cars tend to consume more oil due to the fact that they operate at Higher temp...ie. the vaporize the oil under the thermal stresses of use ..that is not the same as an old car that burns oils through worn mechanicals eg. pistons,valve stems and springs and oil starvation stress.
I asked a guy who has raced ferrari 355 as part of his club race program in Ct. he said not to worry and enjoy this car.. He said it represents tremendous value and performance..

^^^^ Crankcase pressure is the major problem,re-routeing the PCV hose is just a minor fix.One reason why you fill find oil in the intake manifold after hard running.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
I've always thought one of the benefits of Mobil 1 synthetic was it's higher operating temperature capabilities? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey JZ just trying to shed a little night....
A night lite!

Be cool! and enjoy

1500 miles , top out at 130 So Far no oil consumption problems... knock on wood

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think it may have more to do with the tolerances on the engine because several of my Zaino customers do not run their cars as hard as I run my 5.9 Grand Cherokee, and the both have 178 degree stats in their cars and they are both eating oil. I had a 406 ci engine in my 86 C4 with 425 rwhp and never used more than a 1/2 a quart of oil in 3k miles. I think the LS6 has either a ring problem or valve guide problems, not major problems but there seems to be a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry but that is not the answer for the LS1/LS6 oil use problem. My '98 A4 never used oil. My 2000 M6 never used oil. My ZO6 uses 1 quart every 400 miles and I drive it the same as the other 2 C5s I have owned. I have been involved in the "oil consumption test" used by Chevy dealerships and ran the car very moderately and there was no change in the amount of oil used. This was with gas mileage of 19 MPG.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts

On 2001-03-28 22:50, jessejames spewed forth this drivel:
Has CMD addressed this problem? Should I expect oil consumption problems albeit mine will be a very late production vehicle?

Only if you let Scorpeee drive it. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

·
Registered
1 Posts

On 2001-03-26 13:03, SILVERBULLITT spewed forth this drivel:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts