Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I PURCHASED A 2001 ZO6 WITH A C5R 427. tHE MOTOR HAS ABOUT 15K MI ON IT. tHE CAR APPEARS TO BE VERY WELL TAKEN CARE OF BY THE THE PREVIOUS OWNER. BUT AFTER ABOUT 400 MI IT HAS USED ABOUT 1 1/2 QRTS OF OIL. I AM RUNNING THE NEW MOBIL 1 0-30 AND THINK THIS COULD BE PART OF THE ISSUE. I AM GOING TO HAVE THE MOTOR OUT TO PUT A DIFFERENT CAM IN DOES ANY BODY THINK I SHOULD TEAR IT DOWN FURTHER OR IS THIS COMMON WHEN THE CARS ARE RAN HARD. (I HAVE RAN THE CAR VERY HARD IN THE 400 MI I HAVE PUT ON IT)

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have a 447 and I use oil, but as much as you do. It's very common with the big cube motors from what I am told and I check it every time before I drive. I don't have the mileage you do but I was told to keep an eye on it. You may want to look into it for your own peace of mind but don't sweat it. Good Luck! :guiness:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Any high performance motor is going to burn oil if you get on it hard continously. Especially, the bigger motors. In fact they are designed to burn oil under hard conditions. Very normal, keeps the parts lubricated.

If you have concerns about oil usuage.

Do a leak down test.
Do a Compression test.
Do a five gas test(pre-smog test).

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
If you were to call Lingenfelter Engineering and ask them what weight oil should I use in my 427 C5R engine, they would tell you 15w50. :cheers:

·
Registered
892 Posts
It sounds a bit high unless you were tracking the car for those 400 miles.

I agree with Grim with:

Do a leak down test.
Do a Compression test.

That will identify if there is an internal problem with the engine causing the oil burning, and if so, where (rings or valve stem seals).

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
My C5R also uses a lot (IMO) of oil too - and just for mainly daily driving. I always carry a couple of quarts in the trunk well.
During the winter I went about 1000mi on a quart.
Now that its warming up it dropped back to about 450mi.
I was considering moving to a heavier Mobil 1 grade (maybe 15-50 like someone above suggested) to see what difference it might make.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
My motor also burns a lot of oil. The car goes back to the shop on Thursday for them to look at it. They think it's in the heads somewhere but, have yet to figure it out. I'll post here if we figure the problem out. I can see burning 1 quart every 1.5K-2K miles or so on 5W-30 oil but, much more than that and I think something is wrong.

I'm running 10W-40 castrol right now and it has cut the oil use in half. :cheers:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
Any high performance motor is going to burn oil if you get on it hard continously. Especially, the bigger motors. In fact they are designed to burn oil under hard conditions. Very normal, keeps the parts lubricated.

If you have concerns about oil usuage.

Do a leak down test.
Do a Compression test.
As an engine builder i can tell you that that if your engine builder tells you that he has designed the engine to burn/use oil you need to find a new engine builder.Burning oil is a great way to blow up an engine due to detonation in the cylinder when any oil contamination is present.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Your oil loss may be attribted to where the piston/ring gap meet - some stroker motors have clearances that cannot fix this problem...and it's something you just live with.

From what I've heard; 30W Mobil 1 actually leans down to 20W when at operating temp; so going to a 0W40 may reduce the oil consumption.

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts