Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have what seem to be the beginnings of oil consumption. :(

Other than buying stock in Mobil 1, what are the negatives?

Thanks, Rollin

·
Registered
428 Posts
None really. If you have a 01 and drive it hard, you may have to put in as much a quart every 1500 miles. That's just the nature of your engine and driving conditions. The alternative is going to the dealer and having an oil consumption test done. If it meets the criteria for abnormal oil consumption. they will pull your engine and replace the rings. Personnally, I'd rather add the oil. The lower rings were modified on the 02 with a lip that reduced the oil consumption under heavy load. Using oil in a 01 does not mean you have a bad engine or even a problem. You are just going to use more oil.
Mash

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Rollin

Set your #2 trip meter, and keep track of the # of miles between max & add..............

Top it off at the max line before doing so.
If you can get 1200/1899 miles between a Qt.........then stick with what you have.......

If you are getting LESS than 800/900.......then time for a re-think.
You are now facing the dilema of all '01 owners.......

I personally do not have a severe usage problem, maybe a quart every 2000............which, because of the way these rods are driven, I can live with, and it's no big deal.

You now have a NEW problem, MODS...............

If you develop a severe usage problem, then more than likely you will have to remove you're mods..............or LOSE your warranty. (before you take it in).

This is the WORST part of the oil issue..........mod, and lose warranty, or no mod's keep warranty...........or REMOVAL IF a major problem comes up.
For THIS reason alone........ALL factory parts removed should be saved........ALL.
JIC, you have to go back to stock..................just ask Bliss.....................:eek:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys.

Z06LS6: I have kept all stock parts for when I sell. I will also start to keep track of the consumption.

So any negatives to oil consumption as I really hate to have the engine pulled.

If there are no real negitives, I think I will also just continue to check and add oil???

Thanks again, Rollin

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mods void warranty? What mods?

What's this about mods voiding the warranty? What mods? I don't think that "bolt on" mods void the warranty. I'm talking about intakes, air filters, exhausts, ported TBs, and the like. (I'm not talking about nitro or supercharging.) Simply replacing a stock part with an aftermarket part or "tuning" the engine to run correctly is not a basis for voiding a warranty. I believe any court would agree.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Rollin

No, drive it like you stole it......some times these dudes STOP using with a few K miles........
Why treat it like a chevette..............enjoy it, it has a 36 k warranty........B to B...............
If worse comes to worse, then fight that war WHEN & IF it comes............:D

PS: I know it's difficult, but.......why worry?.........wait until it drinks by the case, then WORRY!!!!!!:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Jim

I agree, Magnuson Moss agrees.........just try arguing the point of law with a dealer WHO says NO..............

He holds the cards, until you make him fold em'.........

Bottom line, try and find a dealership that is mod friendly........

But, also, keep in mind, whatever is done to your ride, and it's status is fed to the BEAST.................and it STAYS there........:(

·
Registered
141 Posts
A dealer who says NO because of an intake or exhaust is an ass-hole. But the dealer is the first word, not the last. After him there is GM, the BBB or arbitration, then a court order. You'd be surprised how quickly the dealer will fix your problem with a court order in hand.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you have some simple "bolt ons", and a "true oil consumption" problem or other major problem. don't give the dealer an excuse. Just switch them out and save yourself a very big headache. Sometimes it is easer to switch out your mods than go through a lengthy appeal process. It's traumatic enough to let these guys pull your Vette appart, muchless fight a major battle just to let them do it. The aftermarket industry will sell you anything you want, but are they going to go to bat for you in a dealer dispute?I doubt it. Why sould they, unless they specifically state that thier product will not void the factory warrantee. If you have major mods like headers, cams etc., you might be in for a fight. Each warantee claim is then considered on a case by case basis.
Mash

·
Registered
267 Posts
A real easy fix is to change to 10w30 oil. This cuts consumption dramatically. If you run the car hard (hehe) then mix 5w30 and 15w50 equally and get a good 10w40 mix. The high RPM's really increase the oil consumption.

We found oil consumption at least 1qt. per month before and now hardly burn any oil at all. Since the car is basically an Autocross/time trial car, we change the oil and filter monthly.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
The first 3000 miles I was using a quart every 800 miles.
The more I drove it the more miles I got before the low oil lite would come on.
With 27,000 on her now I get between 2000 & 2200 miles before she gets thirsty.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i am using royal purple, 10w 30. i have been using it for 4000km and had to refill it twice already with about a liter every 1500 km. i only have 6300km altoghether, i hope the consumption stops after the 8000km (5000mi)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info and insight guys.

Sounds like other than being a pain in the ass there are no ill effects from the oil consumption.

I am going to try 10w/30 at my next oil change and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
You never mentioned how much it's using .. there's a big difference between a quart every 3000 miles, and a quart every 800 miles.

If it's really consuming a LOT of oil, the downside will be fouled plugs (hard driving will take care of this), shortened O2 sensor life, and potentially plugged cats, further down the road.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I wouldn't switch oil weights if it were my car. Stick with the Mobile 1. You are asking for trouble and could void your warantee.
Mash

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jerry - I am buring about a quart every 800 - 1000 miles at this point with just over 6K on the clock. Thanks for the info on the negatives.

LtMash1A - Thanks for the advice. I will talk to the dealer and get their opinion.

Rollin

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
RB,

Changing to 10/30 is ok, it won't viod the warranty.....but, I seriously doubt it will help......

The 5wt, just helps the cold start lubrication(faster).

If you really want to see if you can eliminate it, try the Royal Purple 5/30.............it meets GM spec, and some fella's are saying it has STOPPED their usage completely.:eek:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again Z06LS6 for your insight and help.

I will order some Royal Purple from LAPD when my just purchased batch of Mobil 1 is gone.

Rollin

1 - 20 of 23 Posts