Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently looking to buy a used 01 Z06 with 5000.miles,Whats the deal on the oil consumption.thanks

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Welcome

Jim,

Welcome to the Forum. lots of good katz here loads of info.........

In response to your ??.
The Oil issue has come and gone and come again. The gist is ya had a good one or not. If not and documented thru GM they replaced rings. Best thing IMHO:, search our forum posts on "Oil type posts" read for yourself and decide. Good luck and welcome again.............

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Jim,

Use the search feature or you can cut and paste the URL below to get several threads on the oil consumption problem. I really don't think this is as bad a problem as we (I) thought initially. I am still burning a quart of oil every 1200-1500 miles. But then it isn't noticeable unless I am really driving hard ... Okay zipping from point a to point b. Now that I am aware of it though, I always keep a quart of oil with me and I constantly check it when I fill up for gas. A few members have had the rings replaced under warranty and this solved the problem.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/sear...hid=4361&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hey Jim!

First...WELCOME to the forum! :)

as far as the oil consumption, *i* don't think it is as widespread as everyone says. you'll hear alot from the few people that actually have the problem, but for the most of the 2001's i think you'll be OK.

They've actually started replacing the rings on some z's that have gone through an oil consumption test.

from what i've been reading, the oil burn seems to lighten quite a bit around 4-5K miles.

i'm sure others will chime in here.

again, welcome.
-jason

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Some do, some don't. Mine, as luck would have it, does. My dealer wants me to wait until I get 6000 miles before we do anything. I'm currently at 3500.

The car is so much fun to drive, it's really not that big a deal to me. I mean really, you add $5.00 worth of oil every month. That's not much in the scheme of things. It doesn't blow blue smoke, or leave it on the driveway, so other than being a minor irritation, it shouldn't be a factor in your decision. If yours does it, it'll be covered under warranty.

Get it and enjoy the ride! :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Bought mine with 4800 miles on it and had to put 3 quarts in up to about 7100 miles. I just turned 10,000 and am getting ready to service prior to driving it to Justin Bell's I have not used any oil in the last 3000 miles. I think all of mine is just starting to get broken in and everything seated.:z:

·
Registered
576 Posts
I am now at 7200 miles and have been using a quart every 1000 miles since the 5000 mark. Prior to 5000 miles, it was using a qt every 1200 to 1300 miles. Over the past couple thousand miles I have actually been using sixth gear some and driving not so aggressively but it is not helping me out. :(

GOLD72

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
:( Call me old fashioned, but!!!!! synthetic oil has no business being in a brand spanking new engine and once she's broken in its OK to switch oil types but when new, NO WAY!!!!!!!! I changed my oil as soon as she got home and will wait for the 5K mile mark to switch to synthetic. Just my $.02 worth and I have no formal training but I will go with my gut feelings a lot !!!!:cheers: Bill :cheers:

·
Registered
680 Posts
70boss302 said:
:( Call me old fashioned, but!!!!! synthetic oil has no business being in a brand spanking new engine and once she's broken in its OK to switch oil types but when new, NO WAY!!!!!!!! I changed my oil as soon as she got home and will wait for the 5K mile mark to switch to synthetic. Just my $.02 worth and I have no formal training but I will go with my gut feelings a lot !!!!:cheers: Bill :cheers:
Bill, can you say....Void Warranty:( No flame intended, just true.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
70Boss, I hear what you are saying, but my '02 (now 1300 miles) has not burned any of its synthetic oil despite doing a dyno session and bouncing off the rev limiter a few times. Our other family cars have used syntehetic from day 1, and we have had no problems...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts