Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Camaro SS that I bought back in July 2004. I did an oil change on it a couple weeks after I got it using Mobil 1. After checking the oil level, the cars seems to be burning a quart of oil every 800-900 miles. I read a post that a quart every 3,000 miles is common, but a quart every 800-900 miles is excessive. My warranty ran out on time back in November, but the car only has 14,000 miles on it. Anybody been able to get them to warranty this problem after the warranty has expired? I read one post that someone was able to get the dealership to put a different camshaft back in the car at no extra charge since they had the motor all apart for the oil issue's. Anybody else able to talk the dealership into upgrades (of course you buy the products, but the labor is free) ? I know there's a TSB on the issue, and there are a couple different things that can cause the problem. If it's the piston rings, I hope to talk them into putting a different camshaft back in.

I work on the dealership owner's race team, but I don't believe I would be comfortable doing all this work on my own yet since I'm still learning. So I hope that working on the race team helps them decide to warranty the problem.

Thanks for any input in advance.

·
Registered
878 Posts
read current mo of corvette enthusiast magazine-has an article about your prob-my 2000 z28 had similiar probs when i first bought the car-new from chevy dealer..i did not use mobil 1-just ran a multi grade , it imporved to about 1500mi per qt-some had probs with valley cover gasket and breather set up-see the TSB on that issue, that improved the oil mileage..and don't drive it if its a 6sp in lower gears reving at 3200-3500 in a consistent manner, some say it creates the "ring flutter" which increases oil consumption :D
hope that helps ya-loved my Z28-had 3:73 gears and lots of mods-was a great car-until i drove my z06 :z: :coo:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Your 2002 has the updated rings, so I suspect that your problem may be in the Valley Cover. This is not very difficult to fix even as a DIY project. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The only way I know that they will fix the problem after it is out of warranty is if it'd had been in for the same problem while it was still under warranty and not resolved. Check the service history. If it has been in for any warranty work for an oil consumption problem, you might just have a shot and getting them to do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts