Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently seen a number of threads on oil coolers, but I am not very clear on what is involved. Can some of the more technically gifted members please make recommendations for a cost effective, uncomplicated oil cooler that does not require permanent modifications to the engine.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Bob,
DRM sells a nice kit that you can unistall about as easy as you can install it. Probably others do as well.

They come with an adapter that bolts to the oil temp sensor unit right about and outboard the filter. Two AN lines route forward from this adapter between the engine and the frame up to a cooler that is bolted to the front air dam bar.

On my first oil cooler, I bought all the parts separately and ended up saving only about $100 from just buying the kit. I spent dozens of hours figuring out what to buy. Having done it once, I suggest just buying a kit.

Alternative for a daily driver is to get a kit with an integrated radiator/oil cooler instead of a stand alone oil cooler in the nose. The advantage to this is that the oil temp will heat up with the coolant for daily use. With my cooler in the nose I have real trouble heating my oil up to normal temp on the street.

99cobra just installed one of these.
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76620
:cheers:

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you want to put one together, I have an Earl's cooler that I took off my car (#41912). The highest temp I saw with it on there was 240...at VIR...in August...97 degrees...and that was before I put on the larger radiator. It retails for about $140...I'll take $50.

Chris
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
If you're going to go through the trouble of getting an oil cooler, may as well get a bigger, better radiator. Both DRM and LG make kits. I have the LG kit and am very happy with it. Saw oil temps of 300+ at the track, now they're 260'ish. :D

Its a great idea to install an Accusump at the same time as an oil cooler - makes plumbing the lines easier than adding it later.

·
Registered
168 Posts
LPE also has a nice kit. The LPE unit sandwiches between the back of the radiator and the front of the power steering cooler. I have that unit, fit is perfect. I was apprehensive that it would not cool as well as a unit mounted in front of the radiator due to the warm air through the radiator but it seems to do very well. I've seen a 40-50 degree drop across the board. :cheers: 510 bucks to my door! :cool:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I got a nice high flow, double core aluminum racing radiator/oil cooler/remote oil filter combo installed. Now, at Road Atl in the dead of summer, I see water at 180 and oil at 215, steady, all day long. The oil filter is cleanable and reusable. PM me if interested and I'll tell you all about it (non-forum vendor).

·
Registered
744 Posts
Bob said:
I have recently seen a number of threads on oil coolers, but I am not very clear on what is involved. Can some of the more technically gifted members please make recommendations for a cost effective, uncomplicated oil cooler that does not require permanent modifications to the engine.
As Subdriver said, I just installed one of these (the DRM kit). If you follow the directions I posted you should be able to do it without to much trouble. DRM just gives you pictures, and that's not enough.

It is not permanent, can be undone. I don't personally think the big radiator with integrated cooler is a necessary expense. My water temps with water wetter last year on the track (went up to 20 minutes hard in lapping days) were not bad. Oil and trans temps were problematic, and since I am going wheel to wheel this year I have installed the DRM oil cooler and trans cooler kits.

Be glad to help if you have issues on the install. You can e-mail, etc. :thumb:

·
Registered
744 Posts
One more thing....I don't really see how having coller than normal oil on the street with just the cooler is a big issue. My temps post install on the street were about 190 (and it was 40 outside). I don't remember what normal was before but I know you don't want to be in the high 200's and into 300 on track, so I don't see how 190 or 200 or 210 (summer street?)is bad.... :yeadog:

·
Registered
299 Posts
What ever you decide on....don't try to cut cost and go with small lines or fittings. This is experience talking.
Tony #54

1 - 10 of 10 Posts