Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard or use this Oil Extreme product. I know most or almost all oil additives are junk, but their seems to be third party documented facts on this stuff.

Article in Hot Rodding this month by David Vizard- that saids this product, "dramatic reduction in wear in key places in the valve train and has, at least 90 percent of the time, delivered between 5-9 lbs-ft. more torque from friction reduction in a V-8 application."

Sound interesting!!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think all you need to do is use a QUALITY synthetic oil ( like AMSOIL 2000 series ) and you can chuck all the additives that are out there. All oil's are balanced with all the additives they need, if you start adding stuff you will upset that balance. Do a GOOGLE search for " THE MOTOR OIL BIBLE" it's an interesting read and I think it is good info JMO P.S. Here is the web site just click on all about motor oil then look for the MOTOR OIL BIBLE then make your own decision http://www.trustmymechanic.com/motoroil.html :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking for new, open minds not the same thinking of the 60's & 70's.

By the way, I use Amsoil!!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I agree, oils contain a certain number of additives. I don't know if you'd want to add other additives. But, I haven't seen these results you're talking about. How about a link?

A good place to start is: quality oil and quality oil filter. :thumb:

Alex ;)

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
jz06man said:
I'm looking for new, open minds not the same thinking of the 60's & 70's.

By the way, I use Amsoil!!
How often do YOU change your oil?

Charlie

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The article is in March 2005 Popular Hot Rodding, titled 10 Torque Tunning Essentials. They basically list known and not to know techniques on increasing engine torque- though mainly friction reduction.
One of the items is oil & additives, it name this product which the author tested:
http://oilextreme.com/index.html and list a gas additive- TK7, which reduces, again friction thru lubrication.

I just read the stuff not make it up. I'm sure someone's used it and gotten some kind of positive results.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Charlie, you beat me to it - I was thinking the same thing! :lol: :lol:

Aaron, thanks for the links. I will have to read some more later.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
IMO that stuff is Snake Oil and a waste of money. :NoNo:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
As a note, AMSOIL (and most other oil companies) do not recommend any additives. You never know how the chemistry of the additives is going to react with the additives already in the oil you use. That is what the chemists at the oil companies are for.

That said, I know nothing about this product and hadn't heard of it until this thread. :cheers:

·
Registered
259 Posts
NYCHASM said:
How often do YOU change your oil?

Charlie
Good GOD charley DON'T ask that question:bang: . JZ06man open minded thinking is a good thing and I know about the 60's trust me I left them in the 60's. I do not change oil in any of my GM cars till oil life is down to 5% left or one year synthetics go a long way . AMSOIL , REDLINE , MOBLE know what they are doing with additives . Remember SLICK 50 it was just that a SLICK way to get your $$$$$ JMO
:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Subdriver said:
As a note, AMSOIL (and most other oil companies) do not recommend any additives. You never know how the chemistry of the additives is going to react with the additives already in the oil you use. That is what the chemists at the oil companies are for.
My initial reaction was this above.

Alex :cheers:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Subdriver said:
That is what the chemists at the oil companies are for.
This is also what a used oil analysis and quality intrepretation (Dyson Analysis) are for. There are some additives that are good. Two examples are Lube Control and Schaeffer's #132 Moly EP.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I too use Amsiol and change at 20%-25% of life on oil life or before i store for the winter.
I asked the question on this additive, only because it made this article in Rod Hotting and found it interesting that the writer said it may a difference and that he normally does not use this products because their junk.
I have never used an additive in my Z or my daily drivers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts