Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So is there a "FINAL" word out there on the UPF44 AC Delco oil filters??

I am a Franchisee of Oil Can Henry's(a quick lube franchise based in Portland OR), we use private label filters mfg by Champion Labs. I spoke with Champion this AM, and we discussed the construction of the base PH44 filter vs the UPF44, and the Mobil 1 M1-107.

Basically the UPF44 media is 100% synthetic. The Mobil 1 (which is mfg by Champion)has a small cellulose %, but is primarily synthetic. BOTH have the same filtering (10 micron) abilities.

I think the threads that were running about Delco dicontinuing the UPF44 are based on the fact that Delco is changing vendors. I was told off the record that Champion is no longer mfg Delcos filters. This would concern me. If they go to ANY other mfg than Purolator, I would turn tail and run!

Long and short of it, the Mobil 1 filter is Built like a Brick Shiphouse, thicker steel everywhere, high filtering capabilities, and mfg by Champion Labs!

I was told that Kmart was selling them at one time.....and AutoZone Parts Stores are now the National account reatailer for the Mobil 1 filters.

Unfortunately Champion has not chosen to mfg this grade of filter in a "private" label brand that I can buy directly:mad:

Happy lubrication to all, and remember:

"If You Love It,....Lube It!!! :p

Win
:cheers:

11 weeks to go
EB/Mod Red(with some luck)
Goin' Nuts waiting!
:z:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
If ACDelco does indeed downgrade its UPF44 filter by changing manufacture, then I would highly recommend using a K&N oil filter. They make one for the LS1/LS6, but don't know the p/n right off hand. Price is about the same as the UPF44.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Maybe I'm leaving myself wide open for some real "whadda nuts!!" replies but...I've used nothing but Fram filters on my C4. is there a problem with Fram on the LS6/LS1?:-?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
From the tests I've seen, Fram is always rated as the WORSE filter from all the ones they test. Some of them have paper end caps and crappy filtering media. There have also been instances where they desintigrate and let paper go through the engine.

Please get rid of the Fram ... there are alot better filters out there. Just because you have been lucky (?) so far doesn't mean the Fram will not cause a problem in the future. Spend just a few more bucks per filter and have ease of mind and insure your Vette doesn't suffer :D. The oil and filter is the life blood of your car!!

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Geez Zee...thanks for the info. All these years I was under the (false) impression that Fram was a decent filter. Looks like it's time I did a little "homework" and re-educated myself. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Marketing is an amazing thing.....until I got into the industry in 1988, I had no clue as to the inferior product that Fram puts out. They do just enough to get by. :puke:

Their slogan should have been:

"You can pay me now.....AND pay me later":lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts