Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 9550 miles on my 04ce. I had my oil changed at the local chevy dealer and they did the reset at 5300. So I have roughly 4200 miles on this oil and the counter/timer thingy says 58% does this sound normal?

thanks

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
It sounds normal to me. It really depends on how hard you drive, environmental factors (heat/cold), and time since last change. The system figures out oil life based on these and other factors - it's not just a certain amount of miles or time. Most people change it when it hits about 5-10%.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Sounds normal

The DIC uses an algorithm that takes into account RPM, number of ignition cycles, and temperature. There is no oil condition sensor and it cannot accurately determine the true conditon of the oil. It doesn't measure metals and insolubles.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
chrisspot said:
I have 9550 miles on my 04ce. I had my oil changed at the local chevy dealer and they did the reset at 5300. So I have roughly 4200 miles on this oil and the counter/timer thingy says 58% does this sound normal?

thanks
Sounds about right to me as well.

Note, your owners manual does say to change out the oil annually or as indicated by the oil life monitor, whichever comes FIRST. So, if you only drive 500 miles per year, don't wait 10 years to get your oil changed. :eek:

I run AMSOIL XL-7500 Synthetic 5w30 in my wife's Chevy Trailblazer which has an oil life monitor as well. She usually gets about six months and 7500 miles before her monitor is down to about 5% which works out pretty well. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Hey, I don't even have 2,000 miles on my 2003 Z06 and the oil life monitor says 58%. Considering they way I drive it, I know mine is normal.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If you are below the "cross hatch" section then you need to add oil. The oil life has nothing to do with content level. Low oil is low oil no matter how new or old it is.

Z06 Butterfly said:
So is there not a need to add any oil in between?

·
Registered
373 Posts
chrisspot said:

thanks
It definitely sounds within the range. If you continue driving as you do then you can expect app 10,119 miles till oil change time.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Z06 Butterfly said:
So is there not a need to add any oil in between?
As mentioned above, just because the oil is good for much longer than 3k miles, that doesn't mean checking oil level doesn't need to be done anymore. It is even more important with extended drain intervals as there is more time for oil losses to accumulate. Fortunately, most automakers know the average driver won't check it, so almost all new cars, including the Z06, have low oil level warning. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
For those of you that track or AutoX your car, you need to be aware that you are adding stress to it above and beyond what normal driving does. So it needs to be changed more often.

Dedicated racers change more often.

A good rule of thumb for dual use cars (those seeing both track and street diving) is
- Bi-annually
- every 3,000 - 4,000
- at 50% oil life
Which ever comes first.

Tranny & Diff fluids must also be changed more frequently on dual use and dedicated race cars.

Oil level must be checked more often in these cars and the factory over fill for competition recomendations must be adhered to.

Since I race and change the oil & filter more often, extended life is not so much of an issue. The extended life aspects will be advantageous for the tow vehicle however.

Also those in the Northern climes that store their car (up to 6 months) need to also change more often. Acids that build up in the oil can be harmful so you should change before storage. In addition, the upper block, valve train and cylinder deposits tend to "wash down" during storage and it is a good idea to change the oil after storage in the Spring.

With racing a dual use car, being a daily driver in the summer and Winter storage, on average, I have found that I change the oil & filter about 4 times a year.
- After storage in the Spring (April)
- Mid racing season (late June)
- Before the Nationals (early September)
- Before Storage (in November)

Note: I also replace the Tranny & Diff fluids annually.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts