Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading to a DE this weekend and have been reading about adding and extra quart of oil to prevent loss of oil pressure in high speed turns. I have just installed a Doug Rippie radiator/oil cooler and refilled with 8 quarts. With the engine off for 15 minutes the dip stick shows the oil level at about one inch over the max fill line. Does this seem about right? What are the signs and dangers of over-filling the oil?

Mike

·
Registered
17,744 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Mike,
One inch is pretty high. I've read, but can't actually personally confirm that there is approx 2.5 quarts from the "full" mark on the dip stick to the bottom of the crankshaft. If the crankshaft starts hitting the oil, it may foam it, reducing the oils effectiveness.

I believe that the distance from the low mark to the high mark is about 1 quart, so you should be about the same distance over the full mark. Seems to me you are higher than this.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Sub and others,

The distance from the "Low" mark to the "High" mark is approximately 1 Quart. However this is NOT linear above the "High" mark due to the configuration of the oil pan wings.

A 1 quart overfill will be indicated by about 1/4" - 3/8" above the "High" mark.

When adding any higher capacity componants to the OEM wet sump system including:
- an engine oil cooler
- radiator with integral engine oil cooler
- Accusump
- remote filter
- dual filters
- and lines

The system MUST be plumbed and check valves installed that keep the oil in all system componants during shut down so that NO drain back occurs and that allows the original oil level and dip stick indicator readings to be accurate even though indicating an increased capacity.

You should, of course, measure and know what the increased capacity IS.

In the case of an Accusump I prefer the new automatic electric solenoid valve. This unit allows the Accusump volume to stay in the Accusump at shutdown and keeps the Accusump pressurized when the engine is NOT running. When the electrics are turned ON the Accusump releases to the engine block oiling system and acts like a pre oiler, then refills when the ignition is fired and acts as a pressurized reservoir during engine operation and will only discharge under low pressure situations. It should NOT discharge when the engine is shut off.
And thus the oil level indicator should read Full at the "High" mark with the Accusump still filled and the engine OFF.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I dont mean to hijack but this pertains to the thread. I too have what seems to be overfill. When I come back from work I sometimes notice oil on the right side of the car, from the front vent all the way down the side. Is there a blow by valve or something on that side?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
DJWorm said:
Sub and others,

The distance from the "Low" mark to the "High" mark is approximately 1 Quart. However this is NOT linear above the "High" mark due to the configuration of the oil pan wings.

A 1 quart overfill will be indicated by about 1/4" - 3/8" above the "High" mark.
DJ,
Great info as usual. And I didn't think about drain back. That may be what he is seeing. I don't have noticible drain back with my nose mounted cooler as it sits so low.

So how do the guys with integral radiator oil coolers check level accurately? Run the car at idle to fill the lines and then check level immediately after turning it off?

I do have one of the older electric isolation valves on my accusump, but if I turn it off before turning off the car, it will shut and isolate pressure in the accusump. I know the pressure stays locked in the accusump because before I start the engine, I open the electric valve and I can watch oil pressure climb right up to about what it was at idle when I isolated the accusump. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
nutbush said:
I dont mean to hijack but this pertains to the thread. I too have what seems to be overfill. When I come back from work I sometimes notice oil on the right side of the car, from the front vent all the way down the side. Is there a blow by valve or something on that side?
That doesn't sound good. There are several lines on the right side of the engine, but none of them are oil lines. There are no external oil lines on the stock car.

Things it may be:
- tire picking up junk on the road and throwing it up on the car
- leakage from the radiator vent tank in front of the battery or the coolant lines running to the heater
- over flow from the radiator vent tank - it comes out the cap if the coolant system overpressurizes - how's the level in this tank?
- leakage from the RF brake line
- Maybe from the AC system but I don't remember where those lines run anymore. Mine have been gone for years now...

I would really try to find the source of this. It may be nothing, but then again, it may be something serious. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Subdriver said:
That doesn't sound good. There are several lines on the right side of the engine, but none of them are oil lines. There are no external oil lines on the stock car.

Things it may be:
- tire picking up junk on the road and throwing it up on the car
- leakage from the radiator vent tank in front of the battery or the coolant lines running to the heater
- over flow from the radiator vent tank - it comes out the cap if the coolant system overpressurizes - how's the level in this tank?
- leakage from the RF brake line
- Maybe from the AC system but I don't remember where those lines run anymore. Mine have been gone for years now...

I would really try to find the source of this. It may be nothing, but then again, it may be something serious. Good luck.
Thanks for the info on the possibilities. I am going to check it out. I'll report what I find. :cheers:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Oil overfill for track use

Just FYI, when I add one qt above exactly FULL, it hits the crossbar of the "X" of the word "MAX" on the dipstick. That looks like approx 3/8 inch mentioned above
Then, I know how much of a qt to replace after each half hour of thrashing. If I had good lap times, I usu replace 1 whole qt. Slower lap times, lots traffic, less oil spewed. No ring fix made available to me by dlr. That's racin'.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts