Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

No less than 100 miles after getting my car ('03 Z06) back from getting a transmission replaced under warranty my car strikes some sort of object in the highway in the dark and punctures the bottom of the oil pan. The list price on P/N 12561828 and its listing in the GM database for over $900! The GM parts direct has it for a still steep $588. And theres a couple of 02 LS1 oil pans on ebay right now for like $25.

The oil pan is two pieces. In my case the bottom pan part is the punctured component, not the top portion. Is the bottom "batwing" portion common to all C5s or am I gonna have to pop for an LS6 component. Id like to snag an ebay one and have them replace the portion thats damaged only for much less. A $1600 repair would hurt a lot so please all have some good news for me.

Thanks and God bless

Joe

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The oil pan is actually 3 pieces that houses 4 seperate compartments:
- Windage tray crank scrapper
- Upper Pan which contains the Pan Baffle and forms a lower structural part of the block
- Lower Pan which contains the Pan Sump and Upper Lt & Rt Kickout Wings or "Batwing" as you describe them.

The LS1 C5 & Camaro pans are not as intricate and do not have the wings as the LS6 does; hence a cheap ebay LS1 bottom will NOT work.

In addition, if you have damaged the bottom part of the pan and hit it hard enough to poke a hole in it, it is wise to remove the top portion of the pan and check for damage and alignment. It is critical, as the top section is part of the structral integrity of the engine, that the mating surfaces of the block, pan and front & rear engine covers remain within a specific close tolerence (+/- 0.01").

The GM Parts Direct unit sounds like the cheapest solution

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Would this not be covered by insurance ? Road Hazard? Comprehensive Coverage ? Date Time Place Documention would be necessary...witnesses ?
I once drove over a semi tire (no rim) went under the car and popped out the back...about 1800 clams damage as I recall and yes they covered it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts