Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, Sorry this is not about the Z06! I want to help my brother on his 2004 BMW M3, Just to get your opinions, because you here seem to have common sense! Any help would be appreciate!

Ok, this is about the oil being used on the M3s. BMWs bring 40/40k mile warranty and FULL service, but the deal is that they change the oil at 1000k miles and then only every 15K miles? No matter how long it takes to accumate 15k miles. My brother has the car for over a year and only now has 4k miles, so he took it back for what he thought was time for an oil change and they told him only every 15k miles, now I convinced him that he need to change it way before then, like now, because its been over a year since an oil change, plus the motor is not broken in yet, so there is debrie from wear, BMW and my brothers defense is that oil doesn't expire for over 2 years, But its not about the oil, its about the metals that are in with from the motors wear, anyway I convinced but he's having a problem with the oil to use, BMW says to use 10w 60, its only available in Europe,and I believe they say if you use anything else the warranty will be void, I believe that's just a cover up for the pre 2004 engine problems, 10w 60 specs are for race motors and old tech motors like old ferraris ect, I dont know what M3s fit in there, I understand that its asking too much from the little 3.2, that's where the problem comes in, our LS6 do fine with regular motor oil though ( What's is the oil we use I forget 10w 30?)

So do you guys think he should go ahead and order the oil from europe to keep his warranty and then would it be fine to use regular spec oil ? or what? :thumb:

·
21,354 Posts
I would change the oil with what BMW recommends at least once a year but when the 15k mark rolled around, I would take it to the dealer and let them change it so as not to void the warranty.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your saying BMW recommends every year, I think that is, the dealer does what BMW recommends which is every 15k miles regarless of time, which I think rediculous considering the engine problems they have with the M3s

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
Hey Luis,

If it is synthetic oil the problem is not that the oil will not last to 15K it's the filter that probably would not. So you can change the filter at 4-5K and top off with fresh oil and then change everything oil & filter at the 15Kmark that way they (BMW) are happy and your brother will not have to worry about engine failure. JMHO. Take care, Don

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's not right that the Dealer said that he has to wait 15k before the oil change. I worked for a BMW/Porsche/Audi dealer, and we were instructed to tell customers to do it at one year, or 15k...whichever comes first. The oil change is part of the service, which I know MUST be done very year, even if the specified mileage is not met. Tell your brother to contact BMW of North America customer relations @ 1-800-831-1117. They should be able to give him the correct answer to this. The specified oil for an M3 is made by Castrol (at least the stuff we used for BMWs). I believe it's available at any dealer. Be prepared though, it's not cheap!

Hope this helps,

Nick

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sfdaytona said:
That's not right that the Dealer said that he has to wait 15k before the oil change. I worked for a BMW/Porsche/Audi dealer, and we were instructed to tell customers to do it at one year, or 15k...whichever comes first. The oil change is part of the service, which I know MUST be done very year, even if the specified mileage is not met. Tell your brother to contact BMW of North America customer relations @ 1-800-831-1117. They should be able to give him the correct answer to this. The specified oil for an M3 is made by Castrol (at least the stuff we used for BMWs). I believe it's available at any dealer. Be prepared though, it's not cheap!

Hope this helps,

Nick
Nick, You're 100%, it is once a year regardless of milage, my brother just double checked, what happened is when he went this January they told to come back til it makes up that year, which will be in April since they changed the 1k mile oil, now that sounds better, but I still think he should go ahead and use the yearly oil change now, which is over a month away, and then change on more time inbetween the following years oil change, but the question still lies when the warranty is over, since he is babying the car with only 3k miles per year, he plans on keeping it a long time, but now here is my question hopefully clearer, Id that 10w 60 necessary after the warranty is up or will regular US spec oils work?? :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts