Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the red covers yesterday and I noticed that the drivers side cover had a bit of oil sprayed all over it, on the motor there was a bit too, Is this normal for tuff 20k?
the Drivers side had a bit less, or with the alternator in the way I could see less on the front :roll:

where does it come from and why? I saw no leaks anywhere though, thanx

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
No amount of oil on the engine exterior is "normal".

But there's nothing on the driver's side that I can think of that would leak oil except the valve cover gasket.

Clean it up, check your oil level, drive for a while, stop, check it again.

If you see fresh oil, you should start looking for a leak.

If you don't see fresh oil, the original source was probably a spill and you don't need to start looking for a leak. But even so, you should remember to check it every once in a while.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RocketSled said:
No amount of oil on the engine exterior is "normal".

But there's nothing on the driver's side that I can think of that would leak oil except the valve cover gasket.

Clean it up, check your oil level, drive for a while, stop, check it again.

If you see fresh oil, you should start looking for a leak.

If you don't see fresh oil, the original source was probably a spill and you don't need to start looking for a leak. But even so, you should remember to check it every once in a while.
thanx, no fresh oil, I check my oil every week once the dealer decided to short me on oil :bmad: thanx

·
Registered
881 Posts
Aside from the obvious probem of having two driver's sides, my guess is it could be from going too fast in the quarter on a stock engine. :rofl: (sorry, I could not resist that)

Seriously, if the main problem is on the passenger side, then I think it might be possible that when the dealer filled the oil, he missed and some ended up dripping onto the belt. Said drip may have then been sprayed off via centrifugal force when the engine revved - hence ending up under the cover and on the engine. Just wild speculation, I know. :p

·
Registered
61 Posts
One thing to also check---GM Ls6 harmonic balancers on the crank ware because of the soft metal and the tough oil seal. I noticed much oil on the pan when I did my usual oil change ---had to change the crank seal and balancer. it seems it is a common problem GM doesn't say much about. It usually will cause a leak that goes back on the oil pan though. You may be OK but check it out.
Regards
Northern Bud
RJ :thumb:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would take the beauty covers off and go to the local car wash and give the engine bay a good blast off. If you think that there are any pan or seal leaks give them a blast also.

Leave the the covers off and check once a week until you see a leak or not.

All I get is about 4 lbs of sand accumulation the motor over 6 mos. or so.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
softy91 said:
I would take the beauty covers off and go to the local car wash and give the engine bay a good blast off. If you think that there are any pan or seal leaks give them a blast also.

Leave the the covers off and check once a week until you see a leak or not.

All I get is about 4 lbs of sand accumulation the motor over 6 mos. or so.

Good luck!
Don't use any high pressure on or near any of the electrical connectors. They are resistant to moisture but the high pressure can push water past the seal and electrical gremlins that can be very difficult to track down can result. :cry:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts