Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to know if below 60F is it normal that the oil temp on the DIC is off by 10 12 degrees ...

Thanks
DFL

01 Z06 red/black

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
What are you basing that inaccuracy on?
:cheers:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Early morning ..temp in garage is about 34f ..coolant is 33f ..oil temp is 21f ....car hasn't been start for about 3 days

Thanks
DFL

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
mgarfias said:
hehe

wait til its 15deg out and yer oil temp on the dic says "LOW"
LMAO

That was very funny!

·
Registered
223 Posts
also, "LOW" reading stays "LOW" much too long.....several minutes after coolant temp >150f, where I would expect oil to read >32f ...def screwed up sensor calibration through full operating range...IMHO

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
atuttavelocita said:
also, "LOW" reading stays "LOW" much too long.....several minutes after coolant temp >150f, where I would expect oil to read >32f ...def screwed up sensor calibration through full operating range...IMHO
Let the car run for about 10 mins, then kill the engine and turn it back on. That seems to fix it ok.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
The oil temp gauge is probaby more accurate at its upper range than its lower range. Alot of instrumentation is that way. Obvioulsly GM went for the accuratcy where it counts. Who cares if the oil temp is accurate when its thick as honey on a cold day? :D.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
They both may be correct.. The oil maybe colder than the water/coolant!! It may take the oil longer to heat up than the coolant/water.

·
Registered
223 Posts
mgarfias said:

Let the car run for about 10 mins, then kill the engine and turn it back on. That seems to fix it ok.
thx..yep, this does the trick:guiness:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
MY Z IS A GARAGE QUEEN!!!!!

We have a heated garage and I've never seen it below 70 degrees. And as high as 76 degrees in the winter. Soooo, the oil temp is always 70-76 degrees. In the Summer, I've seen it reach 90 degrees. my Z has never been outside overnight.....

I've checked the thermometer in the garage against both the oil and coolant readouts in the car and there hasn't been more than a 1 degree variance :D

:cheers:
Barrie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts