Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in the Z to drive to work and the oil temp read "LOW" on the DIC. It was 22 deg F outside, but after 35 miles of mixed driving it never read anything, but LOW. Where is the sender? What else could cause the bad reading? Hopefully going home it will read.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The sender is on the drivers side of the engine under the exhaust manifold an just above and forward of the oil filter. Easy enough to check if plug is still attached from under the car.

Tony #54

·
Registered
242 Posts
I found the same occurance with my '02 when it was stored outside one night in the twenties. It didn't display other than the "low" oil temp until the next time the car was started. I don't think you need to be concerned.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
quicksilvermd said:
Got in the Z to drive to work and the oil temp read "LOW" on the DIC. It was 22 deg F outside, but after 35 miles of mixed driving it never read anything, but LOW. Where is the sender? What else could cause the bad reading? Hopefully going home it will read.

Next time it happens. Stop the car and turn off the engine and restart the car. That should take care of it. Let us know. :ity:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the comments. I just went down to the garage to check and all is working just fine.

thanks again :thumb:

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
This is what the Oil Temp does. It's a code bug that GM hasn't bothered to fix. I don't remember the critical temp, maybe it's 20, maybe it's 15, but if you read the DIC oil temperature once the engine is running, and the temperature reads LOW because it's below the "magic number", the DIC continues to display LOW for oil temperature until the next restart.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
RocketSled said:
This is what the Oil Temp does. It's a code bug that GM hasn't bothered to fix. I don't remember the critical temp, maybe it's 20, maybe it's 15, but if you read the DIC oil temperature once the engine is running, and the temperature reads LOW because it's below the "magic number", the DIC continues to display LOW for oil temperature until the next restart.
Yep, found that out myself in late 02 when I drove through a snow storm on the way from Seattle to Memphis. After starting it one morning I sat there for 15 minutes waiting for the LOW to go away and finally thought... this can't be right. Water temp was in the 190 range at that point. Turned it off and on and sure enough, oil temp was well over 100.
:cheers:

·
Registered
474 Posts
My '02 has been sitting covered up for the past 2-3 weeks (had some snow/salt issues...too cold to wash the car too). Took it to work today. Outside temp is 25. Started the car, LOW on DIC then blipped to 27. Went inside and let the car idle for 2 min. Hopped in and it was on LOW. After a 9 mile stop-go drive to work the coolant was at 194 when I got to the parking lot, plenty of oil pressure, oil temp still on LOW.

I turned the car off and then back on thinking (like most computer issues) a reset would cure it. Nada....

Maybe on the return drive tonight it will be back to normal. Supposed to hit 30 here today so maybe that is above the "magic #".

Pat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts