Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Can anyone put an upper limit on this? How high can I run the Mobil 1 without worrying about oil breakdown and/or engine damage? Not that I plan to run it hot, but it would be nice to know when to back down on the track.

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Mobil 1 is good to 300 degrees. I often hit 280 to 290 during track sessions and then run a cool down lap. :D

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Rippied.Z06 said:
Mobil 1 is good to 300 degrees. I often hit 280 to 290 during track sessions and then run a cool down lap. :D
Subdriver,

you'll get no better hands on report then Ron's...............

:)

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Ron,
Thanks much, thats exactly the info I was looking for.
I took mine to a "driving school" at Roebling Road near Savannah GA this past weekend with the BMWCCA. I ran it extremely hard and the oil temp ran up to 280 after about 15 minutes. Was afraid to go higher so I backed off for a lap. Guess I'll be looking for an auxiliary oil cooler (I think DRM makes one) and probably a differential cooler.
Car was a blast on the track. Had fun running past all sorts of BMWs including an M5 and several SCCA IT class cars on race tires (I was on stock F1s) and two Porsche RS's. Can't wait to go again.
Ffen

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Good to hear---

I thought I was pushing the temp. today at 242---I constantly check the levels. Today I put a little too much in---just over the max line---should I drain a little or just run her as usual?

Be sure to check out my website below---my wife updated it with new pics!!!

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
I wouldn't worry about being even a 1/2 qt over. It will be gone as soon as you drive the car hard a few times. ;)

Subdriver, I don't have an oil cooler either and my run sessions must be kept to about 20 minutes or the oil will get nasty hot. DRM does do great oil, tranny, and diff coolers. They use the Z06 rear brake ducts for the tranny and diff coolers. Enjoy.:cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts