Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hot does your engine oil get during DE's? My recent Summit Point trip saw 262* on a mostly cloudy 53* day. I'm afraid what summer-time temps will look like, so am considering a new radiator with oil cooler.

I'll likely run R-compound tires with only modest engine and suspension mod's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
262 is right up there with a 53* day.
We are using the DRM radiator along with an oil cooler in front of the radiator. On hot days (85) we see water at 198-205 and oil at no more than 220. Go for a radiator and oil cooler. There are radiator that have the oil cooler built right into the radiator. Do some research, but get some cooling. Your engine will love you for it.

Tony #54
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
mine gets a bit hotter

my oil temp got up to 273*F on a mid 40*F day. I would think you'll be fine as long as oil temp stays below 300* and you're running good quality synthetic. I run Redline.

I'd like to think it's not a 1 for 1 increase in oil temp with increase in ambient temp. Otherwise I might have to look into the oil cooler myself which I'd like to avoid.

Didn't GM test '04 C5 Z06 at Nurburgring? Or did they have a Grandma behing the wheel? Figure if the car can survive that track with the brutal straight it'll be ok just about anywhere else...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,383 Posts
300 at Sebring on an 80+* day. Installed the LG radiator/oil cooler and highest I've seen since is 272 on an 85* day pushing the car really hard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
I got to 290 or so last year in DEs a couple of times after 15-20 minutes.

Installed DRM cooler kit, ran foirst wheel to wheel race (yesterday) - 30 minutes, ambient temp was ~70, oil temp stayed nice - max was ~255 if memory serves. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, where do i get a cooler?

Who makes the best oil cooler or radiator/oil cooler combo?

What will it do to my warranty?

Any guesses on how much I should expect to spend to have it installed in terms of hours or dollars?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
dmtnt,

In your "My Garage" i noticed "Tranny/differential coolers by dmtnt". I searched around to see if you had posted anything on this before, but came up empty. What did you do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
WhosUrDaddy said:
Who makes the best oil cooler or radiator/oil cooler combo?

What will it do to my warranty?

Any guesses on how much I should expect to spend to have it installed in terms of hours or dollars?
I rigged up my own cooler set up using the T1 legal Earl's cooler, but I don't recommend you do that. The Phoenix Performance guys have a really sweet cooler set up with all appropriate AN fittings and such. Joe can also set you up with the DRM (Ron Davis) radiator which works like a charm.

Considering both of these are just to help the car stay cooler and not necessarily a performance mod, I doubt your warranty would be affected unless your dealer just wanted to be an ass about it. With a good radiator and oil cooler, your temps will be around 210 for water and 230 for oil even under the most extreme conditions.

I'd also recommend a tranny cooler if you do a lot of track stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,383 Posts
kmagvette said:
dmtnt,

In your "My Garage" i noticed "Tranny/differential coolers by dmtnt". I searched around to see if you had posted anything on this before, but came up empty. What did you do?
Here's a thread that has some pics and additional info:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75377

Basically I fabricated my own kit that places the coolers where the mufflers used to be (I have Corsa Ti race exhaust).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,491 Posts
Dedicated race cars can run, and in fact may be limited to using a seperate larger race radiator and seperate engine oil cooler.

However, I recommend using an integrated race radiator and oil cooler on dual use cars and cars that see cooler weather driving. With a seperate cooler your oil may never get up to temp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Yeah, according to the T1 rules, we have to run a separate cooler...supposedly an Earl's #81912. I don't know if the integrated radiator/oil cooler is better or worse and I don't think anyone would have an issue if somebody showed up with an integrated cooler set up. Something tells me though that the integrated version wouldn't cool as well...like DJ said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
I think for those of us living in cooler parts of the country (i.e. not extremely hot) in winter months it'll be difficult to get oil temp above 150*F. That's a different problem as its generally regarded that oil temp needs to get up to at least 150*F to work properly, below it the oil is too thick and doesn't have the flow necessary to properly lube the engine. That said, this was the case with dyno oil. Now with high tech synthetics on the market this may no longer be an issue - but it's something anyone installing a cooler should look into and find out for themselves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With the current 60-70* weather I'm seeing in the DC Metro area, I'm pretty quickly at 210* and frequently seeing 225* in traffic.

Is this indicative of a different problem or still in the normal range?
Assuming all is normal, who's integrated radiator/cooler should I buy? There's one at corvettegarage.com for $829 - Chris says its a Ron Davis unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
WhosUrDaddy said:
Assuming all is normal, who's integrated radiator/cooler should I buy? There's one at corvettegarage.com for $829 - Chris says its a Ron Davis unit.
Isn't the DRM unit a Ron Davis? They charge about $400-500 more... Is there something I'm missing here?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,963 Posts
I've never had a water or oil temp problem 250 tops.Up here in the NW,it rarely gets over 80 deg,but I do have a tranny overheat problem after 20mins of track time depending on how much I push it.If I back off a little and don't downshift as much it cools down.An audible warning came on at 275 and my tranny temp went up to 300deg.Now I always have to watch my tranny temps on the track and I concentrate more on shifting smoother,the car demands that I become a better driver.Does anyone recommend a good tranny cooler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Z06 greg said:
I've never had a water or oil temp problem 250 tops.Up here in the NW,it rarely gets over 80 deg,but I do have a tranny overheat problem after 20mins of track time depending on how much I push it.If I back off a little and don't downshift as much it cools down.An audible warning came on at 275 and my tranny temp went up to 300deg.Now I always have to watch my tranny temps on the track and I concentrate more on shifting smoother,the car demands that I become a better driver.Does anyone recommend a good tranny cooler.
Interesting, how do you get a reading on transmission temp?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
Ag-Z06 said:
Isn't the DRM unit a Ron Davis? They charge about $400-500 more... Is there something I'm missing here?
DRM kit w/ integral radiator oil cooler uses a Ron Davis radiator I beleive. They also have an oil cooler kit that is not integral. I bought and installed one about a month ago, and I drove in the cold, don't thinks it's a big deal. Just did my first race and temps stayed nice. This kit is gheaper than integral. See my previous post for detailed instructions on th install if you buy it.... :yeadog:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,709 Posts
WhosUrDaddy said:
Interesting, how do you get a reading on transmission temp?

When the tranny temp gets to 271*f or so you get "HIGH TRANS TEMP" ont he DIC. If you hit the reset button it will display the tranny temp. As long as you stay in the "gauge mode" on the DIC the trans temp will be there. Even if you shut the car off. If you push any of the other DIC readings (fuel, trip, ect) you will loose the tranny temp when you go back to gauge.

That is the only way to get the tranny temp.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top