Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much oil did / does / your Z use, and have you re-ringed the auto?.
If so, what was / is the result?

·
Registered
566 Posts
ZO6LS6:

My car has used a little over 3 quarts in 4k miles, not ideal, but on the low side for some 01s. Since I drive it hard at times, I have no problem with this and am not going to worry about it. Oil usage drops considerably after 5-6K miles on most 01's. There have been some guys who have had to get new rings, but I don't think the # is high. Frank can say better, because he drives his car daily.

Remember, these are very hi-performance engines, and are going to use a little oil, and make a noises that your Nissan doesn't.
The oil ring GM used on the 01's was a little loose, so they take longer to seat I'am told. The 02's have a different ring. I wouldn't consider a ring job unless the car was burning a quart every 1500 miles or less. I know this seems like a lot of oil, but GM considers that "normal". In actuality, most cars will burn much less, as mine has shown. I expect the oil consumption on my car to drop, as the engine wears in.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
My '01 started at 1 quart every 800 miles by the time I reached 5,000 miles it was every 1600 miles.
Now with 23,000+ miles every 2100 miles.
Z06,HEAL THYSELF:guiness:

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
None here ...

No oil consumption here ....

I have 4000 miles, changed the oil at 1500 and 3800. Drag racing about 5 times, and I'm not easy on the car on the street.

It was properly broken in, it's my second vette, and I really did take it easy until about 800 miles. I started drag racing it at 1000 miles.

It is a 2001, built in mid January. Do I have the new rings?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have a QS2001, delivery in September 2000. I had very little oil consumption for the first 4K to 5K miles, 1/2 qt for 1500 miles. Now I have about 9K and I added less than 1/2 qt over approximately 3K miles. I drive it hard when ever I get the chance. I did not do a ring job.
You will most likely see some oil consumption with most high performance engines when you drive them hard. Excess oil consumption is an isolated problem with some LS6 and LS1 engines. Either way, you should do yourself a favor and check/monitor your oil levels. An easy routine, check it at every gas fill and once a week in the morning before starting the car.

·
Registered
938 Posts
No oil consumption here , used alittle at first but after 10,000 miles all is nornal.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: None here ...

proexpert said:
No oil consumption here ....

It is a 2001, built in mid January. Do I have the new rings?
I don't think so. I think the only 01s that got new rings in production where the ones built after mid April 2001.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Proexpert..........negatory.........to my understanding NO ONE got new rings......period, until the ' 02's.........
Starting May, ( I believe), the production ( '01)THEN started recieving the new coated pistons......(Same rings), for a cold weather piston slap ( noise problem).
NO '01's.........have the new style 2nd ring, and or the expansion rings................even the ones with new pistons.
Someone correct me if i am FOC..........but, I don't think so.:(

·
Registered
373 Posts
Mine is pushing 20,000 miles and seems to be using 1qt every 5000 miles. So far I have used 3 qts. The first oil change was done at app 1600 miles and the next was done at 11,600 miles. By DIC measurement I am due at app the 26,100 mile mark.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Ruking, you got a good one......

Mine burns 1qt every 2k, but I drive it VERY hard all the time, so I look at it as a constant oil change :)

Now, I do worry about it possibly fouling the O2 sensors or cats later in its life.....I guess I'll keep an eye on the MPG......

JC

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mobil 1 10-30

I have read several posts, where using 10w-30, Mobil 1, will almost stop oil usage.........what amount of H P loss do you think will come about due to the 10 wt oil, instead of the 5wt??????.

As of now, at 1250 mile down 1/2 Qt, I am not concerned......as I have driven this car from the 500 mark, like it was meant to be driven....:D

I did not use ANY oil until after the 800 mile mark.........
And, if I babied it, and drove it like any other vehicle, I am sure it would not use much, if any oil in 3-4k miles.........

But, then if that was the case, I would have a MaL I Boo!!!!!!!!.
I too, think 1qt @ 1000 miles is the cutoff..........for non racing driving......
At that amount, or over........it's dealer time.
I come from the old school.........where auto's had 300-450 H P on tap ALL the time, and they did not use oil like this.....I and I fully expect a car that cost what 10 or more of them did to do less.
FWIW,,,,,,,,and my .02's..........................:roll:

·
Registered
576 Posts
I took delivery a year ago. I am now past 7700 miles and using a qt per 1000 miles with no re-ring job. If anything, my consumption is somewhat higher since I passed the 5000 mile mark. I am still hoping to see some improvement in the next several thousand miles. Consumption is not high enough to make me think re-ring yet.

GOLD72

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Been driving mine almost daily since April, and I get the "Low Engine Oil" warning at least once evey 1000 miles. Right now I am very confused about whether to pursue the Ring replacement or not.

Having seen the pictures and some other postes I am not sure if it is worth it or not. At this point I will probablywait until next spring since she will be going away for the winter soon, and see how it goes. I currently have 9400 miles on her and it has not gotten any better or much worse since I first got it. To date I have put in 9 or 10 quarts (have honestly lost count, but I think it is 10) in those 9400 miles

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mine seems to vary depending on how it is driven I currently have 10500 miles on and bought it with 4000 on it. I have put in 2 quarts since purchase and am changing oil before driving to Justin bell's ought to have a real good feel after that run. I also have been debating going to 10w30 mainly because of the heat here in Texas and I have had similar expierienc with M series car and changed weight of oil and cured similar issue.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
My car was built 6/6/2001 and has used 4 quarts in 4,000 miles. Did not use a drop during the break in period, so I though I was OK. Alas...

There has been a lot of talk about it being due to a high rpm, light load condition, but I can say with no reservations that does not happen in my car.

Some also say it could be a pcv part of some sort. I'm keeping a detailed log of the usage and have reported it to the dealer. After seeing those pictures, I'm not so sure that the cure isn't worse that the symtoms. :eek:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Zoomin

This is what really makes me question the validity of GM's claims......

Question??.......When SHOULD an auto USE the MOST oil??
Answer.............In the first 1000 miles or LESS......
Solution............??

Whatever YOU want it to be............

Like YOU, if the ( my auto) starts inhaling a Quart @ 1k miles, I will definitely do THE FOLLOWING things.........

(1)...........CONTACT THE ZONE MANAGER first.
(2)...........ASK FOR A new VEHICLE
(3)...........DEMAND SAME...............REFUSE a repaired $50K vehicle.......
(4)...........UNSATISFACTORY RESULTS
(5)...........BBB, FILE A GRIEVANCE, & hire ATTORNEY.

There is only ONE thing a schoolyard bully understands.........
PAIN, and DISCOMFORT...............

Whatever HE dishes out, HE gets back x's 10..............

WHEN they understand YOU came to play..........then you will get their attention, and respect.........

Unfortunately, being nice & Civil gets you nowhere today in / with corporate America,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Best of luck, and don't settle for a quart of oil per month club status...........;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thers an interesting article in the new issue of the C5 Registry special Z06 edition that I just recievied. Part of it is an interview with John Juriga that explains a lot of the oil issue as well as the repair guidelines that dealer should follow. Interesting difference between 01 and 02 piston and ring set-up. :z:

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have a 01 built in 07/00. I broke the car in easy, below 3000 rpm for first 1000 miles. Bought car in NJ, drove it back to Mass. The car now has 5400 miles on it and DIC came on for first time. Had to add 3/4 of a quart. I have changed the oil 3 times since I got it. I am old school and have worked at new car dealers for the past 30+years. I couldn't imagine adding 10 quarts of oil in 9400 miles. I have a 66 with 4:11 gears and except for oil changes I have never added oil to it. I would certainly think about it very seriously before I would let the dealer put in new rings, unless it was absolutely necessary. I have a good friend who is a zone rep and I plan on asking him about this problem.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Early production 01, delivered Jan of 01. Mine uses about 1/2 qt per 4k miles. Total miles 17k. I've noticed that my consumption was considerably less during the colder months. During the summer I routinely see oil temps in the 220-230 deg range and only 200 during winter. Either way, completely acceptable for a beast of this nature.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts