Corvette Z06 Forum banner

OK Guys, I've strung you along long enough. Here's a sneak peek.

3K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  ZO6Bill 
#1 ·
Well, today was a VERY good day!! First I finally got to meet my buddy Zippy and his wife Pat. Nice people!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif Pat's a good cook too!!

Zippy drove his Z so I wouldn't have to drive that Focus any longer than I had too. I love that Torch Red!!

By invite, we went to Katech Engines www.katechengines.com. If you are not familiar with Katech, they build the C5R engines. Katech is involved in other racing forms which I will elaborate on in a feature article that I am writing.

They allowed me to take dozens of pictures. I'm going to show you just a few to wet your lips.

This is a first...nobody else has ever seen or reported these valve covers. This is the new C5R carbon fiber covers. It was just installed today.

You say you like cubic inches?? Katech has developed a street version 7 Liter aluminum block based on the 7L C5R racing block.

So now you ask, "Are they doing anything for the Z06???"

This is a new LS6 engine sitting on a dyno being baselined. After extensive testing in their world class equipped facility, they will be providing packages for the Z06. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

Now before you ask, I didn't get any free parts and I have nothing to gain by visiting Katech....but it was a C /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif L place to go!!

Sherylann Calmes Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

See less See more
#3 ·
That is a sweet looking big block Frank! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Glad to hear about their ZO6 package. I wish I could affort the $$ for their street 7.0 liter, but who knows? Perhaps a group purchase someday. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Can't wait for your article.

#6 ·
Pretty /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif Frank, All I can say is MORE!!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I Love my Z!!!

#14 ·
Cool stuff, Frank! Did you happen to witness an engine dyno run of the LS6? Wonder what kind of numbers they were getting? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

#17 ·
What does 1.3 more liters set one back these days Frank?

#19 ·
Frank!
Nice lookin' powerhouse...!! Do ya think we can get GM to replace the oil burners with one of them? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

#20 ·
I've been sitting back reading everyone's comment's to our visit to Katech and thought I would share a couple of random thoughts.

First, I must admit, it was a pleasure to finally meet Frank after "knowing him" on the puter for over a year. Mrs Zippy also enjoyed meeting him and said he and Sherylann would be welcome (including the poodles)....at our house any time. My wife loves animals also.

Since my Doc does not allow me to have alcohol, and Frank is unfamiliar with the roads around here, I volunteered to be "the designated driver" for our trip to Katech. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif Never mind that I wanted to drive the Z! (real reason) /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Katech is a first class Engineering and Engine Development facility. We really enjoyed listening to some of the "behind the scenes" talk about so many world famous drivers who have won with Katech built engines! I was also quite impressed with the dynamometer and engine building areas of Katech. For those that don't know...I am a Sr. Engineering Technician at Detroit Diesel Corporation. Have worked in various Engineering departments there for over 33 years, and most recently running dyno tests on an inline 4 cylinder diesel for future emission requirements. I felt right at home touring Katech! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Want to extend a very hearty THANK YOU to Frank for inviting me along, and Katech, for taking the time to show us Chevrolet Racing engines up close! Talk about a kid in a candy store!

Frank, Thursday is still on for Baker's in Milford....gonna be more fun!

Zippy /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Red/Black Z,
Mi Plate, "1C5 2GO"
NCM Member #5281

#24 ·
Hi Frank

This is a great piece of news. I'm gonna drop those guys an e mail right now. I don't get excited over too much. Always wanted Lingenfeltner to do my car, just cannot see spending $43K US, considering our Canadian dollar is in the toilet. Wonder if this will solve my needs, wants and desires !!!

Great Scoop, those pictures really got me going. Are you doing research for FoMoCo ?
Saw the Bullitt at the car show - looked neat, but needs some more giddyup.

Later

The Zap

#25 ·
Frank, YOU BAD!!!:cool: I'd like those little items just to the right and up from those CF valve covers:D. Keep us up to date and very nice pix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.