Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dennis, the shop that does my work and many other Corvette Forum members charges about $400.00 for the install, I believe that Vette Doctors charges about the same, there is a lot of welding that has to be done. I am looking at getting a Z06 and would go the long tube route, it made a big difference to my LS1.

------------------
Carl V. *****Authorized Zaino Distributor*****
Huntingdon Valley, PA.** 2000 Magnetic Red Convertible **
MN6,F45,QF5,AQ9,AG2,CJ2,T96,B34,AAB,UN0,U1S,JL4,UV6,T82,N37
** Corvette Club of Delaware Valley **

www.hcvind.com
E-Mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
601 Posts
The K&N without the front section of the airbox is working great for me.

------------------

2001 Torch Red Z06

·
Registered
566 Posts
After seeing the pros and cons of all of the after market intake systems out there, and reading the dyno results, I have decided to do the following, as a result of some research and prior experience.

I have ordered a KN replacement air filter and the modified (stock) air box. I think this will give some good HP gains for the $$. The whole thing is around 130.00. The Z06 has the larger TB so I am not too concerened with that. We are planning on a dyno day here in the Chicago area sometime in April, so I can easily do before and after pulls.
The $$ saved will go toward a set of the new B&B headers (estimated 15HP)I should be able to install myself (the pre-cats stay on)and the car loses 12 to 15 lbs. in the process.

I like the stock exhaust, and any change here is strictly cosmetic (sound, looks) IMHO. You may pick up 5-7HP, but you give some weight back too.

I would dyno the car after the header install, too when I can. Powershifter, and some others have reported good results with similar setups. Seems like a lot of bang for the buck. I would think this would help crank out another 25 30 HP. What do you guys think?

------------------

Quicksilver Z06

·
Registered
566 Posts
Zeee06:
I knew there was one other that reported good results with this set up.

hcvone: I will see who can do it in the Chicago area. We have to get our cars emissions tested here in Illinois, but I think it will be ok w/o precats. Just wanted to save the hassle. Thanks for the feedback.

------------------

Quicksilver Z06

[This message has been edited by Dennis Jurs (edited 02-09-2001).]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dennis, I would install long tube headers (I did this on my car) you will pickup much more hp and loose the pre cats, you may pickup 25-35 hp with this alone. I agree with you that the stock t-body is fine unless you do heads and a cam. You will not see much if any gain on the exhaust system, just a better sound. The bottom breathers will give you probably 5-10 more hp than others. The shortie headers are much easier to install but the gains will not be that great. JMO

------------------

www.hcvind.com

D

·
0 Posts
Hello just got mine in
feb 7th. I had a zr1 and found the intake restricted on it also. I have a Donaldson filter, and from what i have found from Lingenfelter and Mallett, this is one of the best.
with a rubber coupler and 2 large clamps, it's done. I am looking at a way to run headers, with no cats at all. {officially this would be for racing purposes only].
any thoughts you may have, or information would be helpful.
sounds like any aftermarket filter will be a good choice. Dennis

------------------
z06-zr1

·
Registered
566 Posts
hcvone:

Yes, I have considered the long tubes, any idea on install cost? I think the price on the B&Bs vs the long tubes would be a wash, but I would have to farm out the install. The dyno results from B&B are yet to be forthcomming, so I was "conservatively guestimating" the gains.

------------------

Quicksilver Z06

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dennis, we have very tough emissions testing here as well, I drive my Vette under 5k miles a year so I do not have to have my car tested, but we tested it after the headers and minus the pre cats just to see the results and it pass by a large margin.

------------------

www.hcvind.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts