Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 02 Z into the dealer today to get the Exhaust Jingle TSB fix and was told that the fix IS NOT covered under my GMPP Major Guard (BUMPER to BUMPER) protection plan. WTF, is everything EXCEPT the jingle covered? Has anyone else had this problem. My car only has 4700 miles and I have coverage for 2 more years. Thanks for your replies. :bs:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I got mine done under warranty at Tom Jumper Chevy no problem. Only thing is the car just doesn't sound the same. I wish I'd have lived with the jingle instead.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi hugo,

Was yours covered under the factory warranty or extended warranty? What is different about the sound? John

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I would think the dealership would have gotten GM to do a courtesy warranty coverage, considering how low the mileage is.

They did it for me several times with another Vette I have. I was past the warranty time but had low mileage on the car and GM said sure no problem.

·
Registered
844 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, aren't TSB's out of the warranty realm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Call the Zone Manager; raise sime hell; and definitely find a new dealer. GM has finally wizened up in Europe. You now have Cadillac and Corvette dealers. Maybe they finally treat their customers better. It's amazing, but after 50 years we still get the same crappy service. Maybe that will improve after Toyota buys GM!! Excuse my soapbox. :drunken:

·
Registered
722 Posts
There are a number of components which are specifically excluded from the Major Guard Plan, including exhaust systems and catalytic converters.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
ST1100 said:
There are a number of components which are specifically excluded from the Major Guard Plan, including exhaust systems and catalytic converters.
Yes, but most dealers fail to tell you that when they sell the plan even though it is in writing.:(

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
That's a crock of :bs: IMO. With that little mileage and the fact it's covered in a TSB, not to mention you have a GMPP- you'd think they go ahead and just do it. They're just cutting out the H-pipe welding in a X-pipe right?

I guess after the jingle fix, the exhaust probably sounds more mellow with less popping and gurgling much like the effects of an aftermarket X-pipe.

·
Registered
722 Posts
A Technical Service Bulletin simply identifies a known incident and specifies a repair. It is not a recall and does not extend the warranty. Same with all manufacturers. Lexus, etc. If this had something to do with safety or reliability GM would probably "goodwill" the repair. For the "jingle", no.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I would think that GMPP should cover this. If not, I would b!tch and moan until they did. It is such a shame that the service experience RUINS the ownership experience of these cars. I think they have to cover the catalytic converter for 8/80 or something like that, atleast thats how it is on my MB.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I contacted ANOTHER dealer and got the same answer, NO!!! it is not covered. The service adviser laughed and said, "read the fine print". I told him I only had 4K mile and it made no difference. What a shame, since the fix has only been discovered by GM one year ago. :mah:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The jingle problem has been known about since early in the release of the model year 2002, Q3 of 2001. It was a very common complaint by 02 buyers from day one. In the beginning dealers were replacing exhausts and cats since those were changes made in the 02 model from 01. They also tried installing x-pipes which seemed to help lessen the jingle but not eliminate it. It was only a few months into the 02 model year that the h-pipe was determined to be the culprit. The jingle and squeaking brakes are very common annoyances with most 02s.

John Youngblood said:
I contacted ANOTHER dealer and got the same answer, NO!!! it is not covered. The service adviser laughed and said, "read the fine print". I told him I only had 4K mile and it made no difference. What a shame, since the fix has only been discovered by GM one year ago. :mah:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, BUT, it wasn't until June 2004 that the TSB was issued.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
That is not the only thing not covered :mah:
GM sucks it deserves to go out of business :yeadog:
When I worked for chrysler I thought they were bad :screwy:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I have an extended warranty, GM Major Guard. One of the things NOT covered in the warranty is the exhaust system, including the catalytic converters. Did you call the phone number, not that it will do any good, 1-800-631-5590 and explain the situation.
I read on this forum, as a means of correcting the jingle, that GM did pay for the replacement of the H pipe with an X pipe.
Well, if GM does hit the skids, maybe we'll get a chance to see how Toyota dose when they take over.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Somebody is talking to the wrong folks. The exhaust Jingle is covered under warranty. Call your Zone Rep. TSB 03-06-05-005 APR 03 Exhaust System - 'Jingling' Noise

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Zone Rep for your area

Michael Paritee
Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine
100 Foxborough Blvd.
Suite 210
Foxborough, MA 02035
P: 508-698-9710
F: 508-698-6087
[email protected]

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi IT L GO,

Thanks for the info. I tried to get in touch with Mike, but I guess he left early for the holiday. When you say it is covered under warranty are you talking about FACTORY 3/36 Warranty and/or EXTENDED GMPP Warranty? Two differant dealers have told me that it IS covered under factory warranty but not GMPP Extended Warranty. Do you have info that disputes their claim? I hope so. Also, the TSB I have is different than the one you gave. The one I have is 04-06-05-006. Thanks for your help. John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts