Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone opened up the hole in their 02 + H pipe to get rid of the exhaust jingle? What was the effect.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,491 Posts
YES. A touch more HP. It acts like a real H pipe then. You can gain even more be replacing with an aftermarket X pipe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,333 Posts
John Youngblood said:
Has anyone opened up the hole in their 02 + H pipe to get rid of the exhaust jingle? What was the effect.

John
What was the General's reasoning for designing such a strange piece? Was it strictly the cost factor?

Charlie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
You don't gain much with just the X-pipe swap. It will change the sound a bit. But, it that's all you're going to be doing - it's not worth it. Be sure you get one if you do headers. Most systems include the X-pipe, anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not talking about an X pipe, I talking about using an 01 Z H-pipe (the one with the larger hole opening), and my stock cats. I have an old H pipe off of my previous 01 Z. I was wondering about the sound (resonence). Thanks, John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,333 Posts
What I meant to say above was this:

Why was the H-pipe designed with such a small opening rather than using the entire inside diameter of the crossover piece?

Charlie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
John Youngblood said:
I'm not talking about an X pipe, I talking about using an 01 Z H-pipe (the one with the larger hole opening), and my stock cats. I have an old H pipe off of my previous 01 Z. I was wondering about the sound (resonence). Thanks, John
Sorry, John. I was replying to someone else's post.
NYCHASM said:
What I meant to say above was this:

Why was the H-pipe designed with such a small opening rather than using the entire inside diameter of the crossover piece?

Charlie
I agree with Charlie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No apology needed, I know very few folks, if any, have actually used an 01 h pipe on an 02, since everyone that changes them seems to go with an x pipe. In answer to your questions, however, it is my understanding that GM reduced the size of the h pipe hole on the 02 + years because the removal of the pup cats (which were on the 01's) caused too much cabin noise. Therefore they "tuned" out the noise by reducing the size of the h pipe hole. The 01 h pipe has a 2.5" hole and the 02+ has a 1/2 inch hole. Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
I didn't know the difference was that much.

Thanks. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,333 Posts
John Youngblood said:
No apology needed, I know very few folks, if any, have actually used an 01 h pipe on an 02, since everyone that changes them seems to go with an x pipe. In answer to your questions, however, it is my understanding that GM reduced the size of the h pipe hole on the 02 + years because the removal of the pup cats (which were on the 01's) caused too much cabin noise. Therefore they "tuned" out the noise by reducing the size of the h pipe hole. The 01 h pipe has a 2.5" hole and the 02+ has a 1/2 inch hole. Hope this helps.
Thank you John. Thanks to you I learned something new today. :thumb:

Charlie
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top