Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My Z has been hibernating, and during the course of it sitting in the garage, the battery died (yep, ordered a Battery Tender right after that!). I threw a trickle charger on it temporarily (just enough to be able to start the car). Today, I started the car, and I got the dreaded "Service Column Lock" message on the DIC. I tried the wheel, and yep, it was locked. Nice. I have the CLB sitting on my toolbox...

Anyway, I rushed back to my computer to do a search on this, since I had only paid enough attention on the subject to know that I should buy the CLB -- but now that *I* experienced the lock-up first hand, I needed to know what to do.

***Incidentally, when I went back to the car after a couple hours, the wheel was no longer locked [when I started it], but the message blinked again. I shut the car off, and figured I'd deal with this tomorrow after getting some responses here...***

I've found a few get-the-wheel-unlocked workarounds after searching here, but I suppose I'm not sure what ORDER I should try these in, or if I need to do them ALL. Here's what I've read:

1) Jerk the wheel hard to the right, keep pressure on the wheel to the right, and start the car in that position.

2) Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes.

3) Remove fuse #25, and reinsert.

Understand that I'm going to install the CLB as soon as I can, and before trying to drive the car anywhere. But, I also understand that the CLB can't be installed WHILE the wheel is locked in place -- and I can't guarantee that the next time I go to start the car the wheel won't be locked.

So... What's my next step? What do I do if I get the message on the DIC but the wheel DOESN'T lock up? What do I do if I get the message and the wheel DOES lock up? Should I try ALL of the above measures? If so, in what order? If not, which is the BEST message for freeing up the wheel?

Thanks, folks! What a PITA!

-Kirk

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
If you pull the wheel all the way to the right and keep pressure on it as you turn the key the wheel will unlock every time.

I find that I need to be pulling the wheel to the right with my right hand just below the halfway point of the steering wheel so that I am pulling down on the wheel, then I turn the key with my left hand.

This works every time, no need for the DLB once you get used to doing this.

Mark

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just got mine fixed and it was free. Take it in asap. The car is not seelable that way either. I know that the fuse thing has been talked about but the rest of the stuff I have never heard of. Dr.Bigg

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would really appreciate it if you guys would give a little more detail in terms of what actually happens when the column locks. Is it that the key won't turn? Because the steering wheel is supposed to be locked with the car is parked, correct?

I'm curious because his problem is made out to be a big deal on vette boards, but it seems to be a common "car" problem to me. In multiple cars I've had in the past, including my stang, sometimes I'd try to turn the key and it wouldn't turn, so I'd yank around on the steering wheel until the key would be able to turn; it never really came as a big shock to me.

However, in my last Z06, I did receive the message once "remove key, wait ten seconds," so I did, and then it started up just fine. What is happening in this instance? Is the computer disabling the ignition? If I had tried to turn the key, would the car have started but the steering wheel have been locked?

I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Dirty - there is a pin that locks the wheel when the car is turned off so it can't be turned. On occasion the column (as in steering column) won't unlock itself when you turn the key - so you can't turn the wheel and can't move the car more than a very short distance before it turns itself off. Highly annoying.

Kirk - when it happened to my 02 - I just yanked on the wheel until it worked. I felt pretty silly sitting in the garge yanking on the wheel - but it worked. This was before the recall, and I told the dealer about it when I took it in after that. They replaced the column lock for me Part # 26089807 (at least, that's what the invoice reads).

Next time I take it in, I will have the recall done too. I haven't had any other problems with the column lock - so I'm not putting the bypass on it. (And I've got over 40k miles on the car too.)

chris

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, folks!

Now, I've NEVER gotten the "Service Steeting Column Lock" message before this weekend. Once I free up the wheel, and then install the CLB, does that mean I shouldn't get the message anymore (also)?

And, I didn't get the "Pull key -- Wait 10 seconds" message. Was it odd that I didn't get that message? Do the two messages usually occur together? And if I get the message (after installing the CLB), will clearing codes keep me from getting the message(s) in the future?

Thanks!

-Kirk

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
One thing to understand about nthe recall fix, IT IS NOT A FIX TO THE STEERING COLUMN LOCK ISSUE. All the fix does is reprogram the computer to disable the fuel supply in the case that steering wheel locks, it does not stop the column lock from occuring. If you have a custom tune on your car, when they do the column lock fix, your custom tune will be wiped out.

FRC Tom's "pull on the wheel to the right real hard while you turn the key" method REALLY works every time" No need to buy stuff to disable the clumn lock, you can always get out of it using this method. I have done it over a dozen times, never failed me.

Mark

·
Registered
407 Posts
Our moderator is correct. The recall will not fix the lock in the first place. If you've done any modifications to your computer-LS1 edit, then it's bye, bye to the mod's, during this upgrade, which does not work you just got your computer re flashed.
The dealer & GM is not getting my PCM to get re flashed!!!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mdickie said:
No need to buy stuff to disable the clumn lock, you can always get out of it using this method. I have done it over a dozen times, never failed me.

Mark
Mark -- I understand the work-around you've articulated here... But, since you've gotten good at freeing the wheel up, I guess it's safe to say that there's no avoiding the MESSAGE at all, right? The CLB will keep the wheel from ever locking up again, but it there a way to keep from then getting the message again?

Again, I never got the message before yesterday (and my car is an '01). Now that I got it once, can I count on this being a common occurance? Or, is there anything to do to avoid the message in the future?

Thanks!

-Kirk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts