Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MTI has a cam /head package upgrade going down........
I understand they do impecable work.............
Seems the Stage II Heads, and Cam pkg, will add around 40-60 rwhp( over stock)..........$5850.00, 3yr, 36 k mile warranty I believe.
Or, a Stage I, package wiith just cam, valves, retainers, etc........for around 1K, installed......same guarantee, approx 20+ rwhp gain............
What do you think????
Seems like the Stage II, would be a killer set up, with stock exhaust intact, putting down approx 400 rwhp............. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JC

Yep, I know........but I specifically asked WHAT type of gain one could expect with a TOTALLY stock exhaust.......
40/60 HP is major, add a Sidewinder, and be legal emissions wise, and you are looking at 410/420 rwhp............
Adding headers...........add another 10/20..........:D
430/440..............yeehah:eek: :eek: :eek:

PS: BTW, you have excellent taste in your auto color scheme..........:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Go for it!

The cam bug bit me on the ass HARD yesterday.....I will make 380 without opening the motor, then I'll open it up, install the cam and get the PCM tuned, and make 410 or so....

:guiness:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TAMUZEE

Well, did you finally get out of BED???????:lol:

DUDESKI, I don't know if I was making 380, already.......IF i would want to void my warranty over just 15/20 poinies.........

I would think long n hard on that one..........

40/60...........YEPPERS................with headers, 60 plus.........a no brainer........:cheers:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I'm not worried about the warranty - for the simple reason that I'm not letting anyone else work on the car (driveline, etc.. componants). If I screw something up, great, I won't do it again, and I'm responsible for it....

Just get out of bed? :confused: ?

Actually about to go TO bed....damn glad tomorrow is Friday. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
LOL - I suppose that was in reference to the "wake up" in the title...sorry, it's late, been a long day....

*wanders off to pass out at some random spot in the apartment*

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TAMUZEEE

No, I was pokin' fun........haven't seen you around here this evening..........;)
Jsut do NOT find a spot, turn around three times and then lay down........as then i will truly be concerned..........about you going to the dogs!!!!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:
Or, for that matter.......hiking your leg....................hehehehe:D

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I found the frig - and some more beer - instead....:roll:

The boss is yelling at me to come to bed, however....so I suppose I ought to make my way over there so she doesn't get angry. ;)

When I do a cam, I'll make sure to get some good pics, and again, depending on my level of motivation, may work on an install document for a cam, also. :)

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah

That was my first choice.......no dice.......
Cash flow??????
What's cash flow...........my definition is MY $$$$$ flowing in a different direction away from me!!!!
I will actively campaign for an '02, in the jan, Feb months.....I think the sale s mania will have subsided to a reasonable level......
And hopefully the int rates will still be tolerable.......
Good luck..:D

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Ok, just my $.02 MTI does nice work from what I hear. I have not looked at a set of their heads from a machinist point of view to look a tthe quality of the work. But I also haven't heard folks complaining either.

One of my friends just picked up his 422 SS Camaro last week making 500+ RWHP. His heads flowed around 320 and they had REALLY worked on them. Another friend did heads and a cam in his Firebird. It is an automatic car running 11.60s with heads, cam, headers, 3.73s, and a converter. His heads flowed about 308.

It think he is around 400 - 410 RWHP.

I do have a problem paying $2800 for ported heads though. And I will probably spend some time on the bench and do them myself, or seek out another avenue, but I have avenues open to me that many of you may not.

If $2800 is no big deal, then I recommend you consider it. Also, to do a cam you have to drop the whole front suspension cradle, otherwise you can't get the balancer off. This requires some room and some gear to manipulate this stuff around. Look at some of the pics on the car getting its rings replaced. You aren't pulling the motor, but the front suspension is coming out.

But if you are going to the trouble of pulling it all apart, I think I would go ahead and do the heads while I was in there. As another option and if you wanted to save yourself a little scratch. You could just order heads. My understanding is that they can be done without pulling the cradle and are much less labor intesive. Use your stock cam with 1.8 ratio rockers and see improvements in head flow, plus its like upsizing the cam some. The MTI cams I have heard are usually rather lumpy, and it is obvious the car is no longer stock. Using the stock cam and mod'ed heads, it would sound stock, and if you take it in, the dealer wouldn't know anything had been done unless they went into the motor. At which point you just tell them it has roller rocker since you heard the stock rockers break and nothing else has been done to it. No warranty issue...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts