Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes thats right I burnt the SOB last night. No not to the ground....luckily.
Heres the story.
We were welding on the cage that I am installing for SCCA T1 racing. Anyway we were welding the base plates in for the main hoop. They go on top of the wall area behind the seats. Well as you know the gas tanks reside under there. Well we thought we had enough air space between the metal and any wires, tubes, pipes or anything else that may melt from the heat. NOT. Turns out the vapor recovery line that runs from the filler neck to the the passenger side tank was touching the underside of where we were welding. Consiquintly it melted and then proceded to catch on FIRE. The thing was ablaze for probable a couple minutes before I realized that there was a major problem. There was smoke pouring out of the seam in between the hard top and the fender. Lucky for me (and my car) the was a small hole burned in the weld so that I could see through to the inside of the car (where the gas tanks and other parts are) and I could see the flames :eek:. So we thru water on it and blasted it with compressed air and it went out. Turns out the only damage is a melted vapor recovery line. Phew. This could have been a major cotastrophie. Being that the gas tanks were right there. I think someone was watching over me and my Z last night.

Peace Z.F.:cheers:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Holy $hit Zee Freak!! :eek: Glad you are OK!!

Thanks for sharing your experience...that might just save one of our members from injury!! :cool:

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Bears Repeating!!!! Say Thanks!!!;)

Take care, (Has a new meaning)

Dan Farmer

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Whoaaaaaah!

looks like you were in the Lord's good grace! We all say thanks that a brutha is still with us!! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
I knew there was a reason I don't play with matches...

Thank goodness all ended OK and no one was hurt...

Mark

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Glad you're okay and only minimal damage to your car. You probably did more damage to your pants :D

We've probably all done something crazy. As long as we learn from our mistakes...

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Please be careful bro. :eek:

We still want to come down and watch you race. :D

Glad you were able to save it. If I were welding around fiberglass I would have a charged garden hose and an extinguisher at the ready all the time.

Pat :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2001 Z06
3,461 Posts
Rollin Black said:
Dude! :eek: :eek:

Wow, only a melted vapor recovery line!

You were being watched over :)

Glad to hear it wasn't therewasn't more serious damage.
Ditto here!! You've got an angel watching your ass!! Glad everything got shut down in time. :eek: :eek: :( ;)

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
You give new meaning to the word "smokin" :lol: Glad there was no serious damage. :cheers:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Glad to hear you and the Z are OK.

In the future you should always have a ABC/FIRE EXTINGUISHER on hand.

Blowing compressed air will only add fuel to the flame!:roll: :roll:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Stand up and shout "OH SH**" Thats scary enough to make you want to hurl. :puke: :puke: :puke:

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Wow, thanks for sharing with/warning us!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts