Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally changed the OE Supercars with 18,750 miles on em today with nitto 555 R2's, 305's out back and 275's up front.

I knew they would hook but I wasnt expecting zero wheelspin, especially in first gear :eek: . I floored it at around 5 mph and first wound out, I grabbed 2nd at redline and barely even chirped the tires. I have been so used to spinning all through first and half of 2nd, It was really amazing how they hooked.

I will be trying these out at the local track tomorrow, I managed a [email protected] mph my first only pass with the traction control off with the supercars that had 12k miles on them and a 2.02 60 ft. If I can cut a 1.8 or even a 1.7 I should be able to manage a low 12.

I hope I get at least 10k miles out of these, but with a treadwear rating of 100 that may be pushing it.

They look incredible on the car, the tread pattern has to be seen. Anyone with serious traction issues should definetely get these. I cant wait to throw my heads, cam, and LT's I have lying around on now....

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Cool. :D

·
Registered
996 Posts
Man, you are NOT HELPING HERE. I'm trying to convince myself I don't need to buy those cool tires but people like you keep rubbing them in my face :D j/k

Let us know what numbers you end up running with them at the track!

And yes, the tread pattern is awesome on these tires!

Geoff

·
Registered
176 Posts
eviLS6 said:
I finally changed the OE Supercars with 18,750 miles on em today with nitto 555 R2's, 305's out back and 275's up front.

I knew they would hook but I wasnt expecting zero wheelspin, especially in first gear :eek: . I floored it at around 5 mph and first wound out, I grabbed 2nd at redline and barely even chirped the tires. I have been so used to spinning all through first and half of 2nd, It was really amazing how they hooked.

I will be trying these out at the local track tomorrow, I managed a [email protected] mph my first only pass with the traction control off with the supercars that had 12k miles on them and a 2.02 60 ft. If I can cut a 1.8 or even a 1.7 I should be able to manage a low 12.

I hope I get at least 10k miles out of these, but with a treadwear rating of 100 that may be pushing it.

They look incredible on the car, the tread pattern has to be seen. Anyone with serious traction issues should definetely get these. I cant wait to throw my heads, cam, and LT's I have lying around on now....
You got the drag radials right? What pressure are you running these at the track? Were 305's the widest drag radial nitto makes?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Bambeezer said:
I think the R2's are the road racing tire.
Yes they are.

Their basically a 555R tire, with a stiff sidewall like most road racing tires. Gives you the benefit if good traction in a straight line, and in the twisties, so you don't get that unsteady feeling you do with DR's at high speed and the turns.
Keep in mind it's inevitable that the stiff sidewall will compromise your linear traction slightly in comparison to the dedicated D/R tire 555R.

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
F1 SS,

I had some R2s on my car for a day (tire shop error) and they do not hook as well as the drag radial "555R" in a straight line. I don't do enough aggressive, competition road racing type driving to warrant anything _but_ the DR.

The Nittos 555R handles 100x better than the BFG DR (been there, done that).

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Sounds like a great tire with the best of both world's :coo:

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
We love our R2's as street tires :cheers:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Been pretty satisfied with the R2's as well. Although, next time I think I'm going to try the DR tires for the rears same as WA 2 FST.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Looks like I know what tires I'm getting next!!! :jammin:

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I think I was one of the first guys on this forum to get a set of RII's on my car, and like you, I was pretty amazed. It really changes the car. I 'm on my 2nd set now. I wouldnt run anything else on my car.

On a stock Z they are great, but on an SC Z they are an absolute must IMO. I think you'll get around 8k on the rears unless you are or a total madman or going to the track a lot.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Anyone have any pics of the R2's on their cars???? I have a set of 4-275's sitting in the garage with one race day on them still practically new.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Darkhalf said:
Anyone have any pics of the R2's on their cars???? I have a set of 4-275's sitting in the garage with one race day on them still practically new.
I have a few in my gallery if you want to check them out. What part of Iowa are you from?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Darkhalf said:

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
ZRods pic is way better than mine ! But mine look just like that, on stock rims.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts