Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm not a Z06 owner and I know the picture is blurry but I'm desperate for some help!

As you may or may not know, the dealer had to replace my gears under warranty last week. Today, I needed to tighten up the exhaust that was installed 4 weeks ago and check for rattles.

It's in the air now and I noticed the 2 bolts directly in the center of where the jack goes (rear) are completely loose.

Does anyone have any idea what these are for. Could these being loose cause any noise? Thanks for the help!

------------------
Mark

2000 Roadster. DBGM/Lt Oak/Lt Oak. A4, 3.15 gears, base suspension and everything else. Borla "Dual Cannon" XR-1's, Vortex Rammer, Power Duct & BPP MAF ends...more to come!
Lowered, Chrome OEM Wheels, F&R S/S Chrome lettering, R Blackout Kit, Steering Wheel Decal, Lloyd's Mats.

[This message has been edited by MeanGreen2000 (edited 03-10-2001).]

·
Registered
39 Posts
MeanGreen, if they are the two bolts I think they are, they are your trans mount bolts, not a good thing to be loose

------------------
Z06, Torch Red,Modified Red

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Z06Jim...that's what it looked like to me. I'll break out the maunals and see what the torque specs are. Thanks
!

Mark

·
Registered
0 Posts
Mark, I'd take that back to the dealer ASAP!!

------------------
Frank Calmes Quicksilver 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, B&B PRT's with Speedway Tips, Ripper Shifter with Momo Knob, Chrome Z06 Wheels

[

Sherylann Calmes Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

[email protected]

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frank,

I'll be following the sage advice of trusted FRC owner and calling GM first thing Monday morning
!

I wish I had checked it before now but I didn't think I would have too considering the dealer's "expertise" with corevttes. Yeah right...learned my lesson the hard way
!

I got the manual out now and am checking the torque specs. Unfortunatley it wouldn't do me any good talking to them today
. And I don't want to drive it any distance without getting some torque on those nuts!

The Tampa area will know who the dealer is and every C5 owner I run into will know my story. Bad for them!

btw...out of the 3 forums I posted this message for help on, you guys were the quickest to answer. And I don't even own a Z06. THANKS GUYS!!!

Mark

[This message has been edited by MeanGreen2000 (edited 03-10-2001).]

·
Registered
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MeanGreen2000:
btw...out of the 3 forums I posted this message for help on, you guys were the quickest to answer. And I don't even own a Z06. THANKS GUYS!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark, that's what this site is all about, helping each other.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A quick update...

I mis-read the torque specs Saturday afternoon and snapped one of the bolts
. Called the dealer right away and told them the story. I would not have had to turn a wrench if it was done right the first time. The appointment was this morning...

the dealer installed a new transaxle mount with no questions asked. They also drained and refilled with synthetic oil. Although they said no "Friction Modifier" was needed. This is contrary to what I've been told by a knowledgeable source.

Thanks again for the help guys!

------------------
Mark

2000 Roadster. DBGM/Lt Oak/Lt Oak. A4, 3.15 gears, base suspension and everything else. Borla "Dual Cannon" XR-1's, Vortex Rammer, Power Duct & BPP MAF ends...more to come!
Lowered, Chrome OEM Wheels, F&R S/S Chrome lettering, R Blackout Kit, Steering Wheel Decal, Lloyd's Mats.

[This message has been edited by MeanGreen2000 (edited 03-12-2001).]

·
Registered
528 Posts
Good to see everything worked out.

------------------
Mark's Web Site
*** Harrisburg Area Zaino Distributor ***

01 Z06 MY/BLK,Zaino,Lowered,Ripper,Halltech Tric Ti,MAG,Magic Box - No time slips yet
92 RS ProStreet Camaro (454) - Best E.T to date 10.15 @ 136 mph

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I think that "friction modifier" isn't needed on non-spooled/lockered rears, from what I understand.

I know that when I had a SOFT LOCKER put in my Jeep's rear, THEN I needed friction modifier...

Now, does the "traction control" set-up in the Z06 necessitate friction modifier? Hmmm..

-Kirk

------------------
2001 Z06
MY w/Black
Memory, Mirrors, Mats, and Moldings!

·
Registered
171 Posts

On 2001-08-06 12:27, hcvone says:
Green, the dealer better put limited slip additive in your car, the service manual calls for it.
On the contrary. Ignore the Service Manual in this case.

The only reason Friction Modifier (the so-called "GM Additive) is needed is to eliminate limited slip noise or chatter. Problem is, the friction modifier does that by degrading limited slip action slightly. If your rear axle is not squealiing or chattering in tight turns, then you don't need the additive.

Best test for to determine if you need the additive is to drive the car about 10 miles to warm the rear axle lubricant then, find a big parking lot and drive in circles (both directions) at a slow speed listening for a squealing noise coming from the rear end. If you hear it, use the additive. If you don't hear noise, don't use the additive.

The Manual specifies it automatically and most dealers put it in becuase they don't want come-backs due to noise.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys...especially Hib, very /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

this thread musta been bouncing around for a while...problem is all solved and good to go....still wish I had a dealer in the area I could trust, but that's another matter!

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts