Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on the other forum. Looks like the guys who waited for the Hurst, made a good choice!:cheers:

Of the three aftermarket shifters this one is by far the best in my opinion.
The fore and aft movement is effortless which is just how it should be. The shifter does not add any artificial resistance in any direction unlike the Ripper and to a lesser degree the Kirban.

There is no noise that I could detect also unlike the Ripper and Kirban. I installed the rubber dust cover from the factory shifter but later found that it rode up the shift lever without my knowledge. Whenever that happened with the Kirban, I would hear the change and re-seat the dust cover. There is no need for dust cover as it turns out. The shifter is very quiet.

Quality is first rate so the time put in was not wasted. And the parts that are included are much more comprehensive than the other two shifters. You get an O ring, 4 new longer mounting bolts, a gasket (a real one not like the factory tissue paper), a tube of Lok-tite and 4 additional heavier centering springs (two inner and two outer for each side) for those who prefer a stiffer side to side movement. The lighter springs are installed but the directions state you can install any combination of springs that suit your preference.

One observation concerning the 2-3 shift, if you try to guide or force the shifter you will hit the 2.5 gate just like the factory shifter does (I am sure this is a function of the transmission and linkage rather than the shifter). However, I found that if you let the shifter control the direction with it's centering springs you will do much better. Not sure what affect this will have on a power shift but I'm sure I will find out in time.

This shifter has the same feel as it's predecessors even though it is a one piece lever, which is a total design departure for Hurst.

I love this shifter just like I have all of the previous Hurst shifters I have owned.

Those of you who have been waiting, wait no more. I have owned all three and Hurst is the once and still king of all shifters.

cc

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Egad's!!!!!!!!!!!!

The same thing???????????

great review.......UNTIL.......the 2.5 shift point.............

I already have that, that is the only reason I want to change it out.

It has got to be inherent in the design.................(linkage).:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
If you powershift a ripper or kirban, is the 2.5 gate a problem? :-?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not a problem if you shift it right, if you try and find third, you aint gonna find it. ( my past problems, lot's of missed 2-3 shifts) It is proven that it is in the tranny and not the shifter. These shifters ( Hurst, Ripper, Kirbain) help the 2-3 shift but you have to learn to shift it right. You can ram them hard into 3rd, I will try and find the link to explain.:cheers:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Mike

My take on this is, WHAT is the point of a NEW shifter??........

I, like evidently a LOT of other Vette 6 speed owners have a 2.5 gate...........unless I'm an old fart, and can't shift for shite anymore......I always figured you shift as FAST as you can when doing the 1/4..........

Well, with the stock shifter, and now, evidently the Hurst.....what is the point??.

If I can't go through the gears as fast as my old arthritic arse CAN SHIFT them, then why do I need a Z???????????.

I have heard it all, some(most on here) say they have NO problems........I see many more on the "Other", forum that hate this klunker as much as me.........for the EXACT same reasons.........so, if I am nuts.....at least I have lots of company........:roll:

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Actually

I'm starting to get tennis elbow with all the long shifts :lol: I guess I am gettin' old cause my elbow and upper arm start to ache :roll: after all the shifting I do everyday! :D Just need shorter throws. :yeadog: :yeadog:

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I think alot of people here are trying to fix a flaw in the desin of the trans by adding an after-market shifter. Also it seems that a lot of people are compairing the late muncie trans to the newer ones. In my brothers 69' Camaro you shift that car anyway you want. It has precise, crips shifts. Iv'e noticed in his 96' camaro and in my Z that the trans doesn't shift well under extreme force unlike his other car. So i'm not sure if any shifter will correct this problem.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Re: Mike

ZO6LS6 said:
My take on this is, WHAT is the point of a NEW shifter??........

I, like evidently a LOT of other Vette 6 speed owners have a 2.5 gate...........unless I'm an old fart, and can't shift for shite anymore......I always figured you shift as FAST as you can when doing the 1/4..........

Well, with the stock shifter, and now, evidently the Hurst.....what is the point??.

If I can't go through the gears as fast as my old arthritic arse CAN SHIFT them, then why do I need a Z???????????.

I have heard it all, some(most on here) say they have NO problems........I see many more on the "Other", forum that hate this klunker as much as me.........for the EXACT same reasons.........so, if I am nuts.....at least I have lots of company........:roll:
Hmmm... Not really sure what you're saying here. If you're asking about why one should get a Ripper over the stock POS, I offer the following:

- Short throws (no rowing through gears)
- Solid "feel" (no slop within the gates)
- Precise shifts (no hunting for gears)
- 2nd-to-3rd centering springs (no looking for 3rd)

I'm sure there are others, but these were the big selling points for me.

Now, are you saying that you don't see that, say, the Ripper provides these benefits? Or, are you saying that you recognize that it does, but that you can't realize the benefits 'cause of your [lack of] strength? I'm a little confused.

Yes, the linkage of the Z's tranny is such that it may never be "smooth-feeling" like some other cars I've driven. The stock shifter doesn't improve the tranny -- rather, with the long throws and insulating material (and rubbery feel), the stock shifter tries to minimize the feel of the shortcomings of the tranny. But this doesn't help shifting, I feel. The Ripper (by shortening shifts so that you can feel the gates before you've committed in that direction, and by stripping the insulating material for a direct feel) really improves on the less-than-perfect tranny set-up.

I've had NO problems getting the Ripper into 3rd from 2nd. In fact, it feels as though you're just shifting forward. The stock shifter can be downright FRIGHTENING when going hard into 3rd or when downshifting -- the feel is just awful.

Please expound on your point! Thanks!

:cheers:

-Kirk

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
KM

Negatory......the Ripper is not part of this thread.....I am speaking DIRECTLY to the Hurst review.........

Sounds as if it has the same problems as my STOCK UNIT.........it has the 2.5 gate also...........

As another stated, evidently this is a tranny issue, not as much as a shifter issue......:puke:

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
No flames please, but....

Z06LS6, I see your name on the paddock board as wanting a Hurst also! :roll: :roll: I guess we ol' farts need short throw shiftin' also!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Mike

Yep, that's why this thread...............

I have heard many praises for the Ripper, & the Kirban........
Edge for strip & 1/4 mile runs to the Ripper, tracking, edge to Kirban.

After reasding posts about the Hurst, being adjustable( spring tension) i thought MAYBE, I could get best of both worlds......

But, after this thread, it seems the stock shifter is NOT the problem, it may be the design characteristics of the linkage.......
SO.......back to square ONE.:-?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Mike

ZO6LS6 said:
Yep, that's why this thread...............

I have heard many praises for the Ripper, & the Kirban........
Edge for strip & 1/4 mile runs to the Ripper, tracking, edge to Kirban.

After reasding posts about the Hurst, being adjustable( spring tension) i thought MAYBE, I could get best of both worlds......

But, after this thread, it seems the stock shifter is NOT the problem, it may be the design characteristics of the linkage.......
SO.......back to square ONE.:-?
I think you are totaly wrong, ask anyone one with one of these shfters (any make) and they all say they shift much better!! you are reading too much into this thread.:cheers: Yes the tranny linkage sucks, but these do wonders!

·
Registered
291 Posts
How about a Tiptronic :cheers:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts