Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a few weeks ago that I was no longer receiving OnStar diagnostic reports for my car. Called OnStar and they told me that they would have to send an update to my car. That was fine but the service rep never asked me if the car was outside where it could get a clear signal. So I asked if that was needed and well yes it was. Anyway they sent an update and told me to check 24 hours later to see if I got my diagnostic report. Well I didn't, so OnStar called back Sunday and we went through the whole deal again, nothing.
Yesterday I get in the mail, a notice from OnStar that my Corvette runs on a 2G connection and will no longer be connected as cell carriers switch over to 4G/5G networks. Is it possible that there is already a connectivity issue where I live and that is why I am not getting diagnostic updates? I know some of you are thinking why am I still paying a monthly fee to OnStar on a 9 model year old car? The mailer states that OnStar will at N/C, send a plug in Onstar Link. The only reason I have kept OnStar was for the insurance discounts and what I believe is the ability to either track my car down in the event of a theft or disable it. If none of the is true I may have to ditch OnStar.
Also of note about the insurance discounts, I just received my auto renewal and replacement values have increased 20-30%.
I always had to fight with my insurer about the value of my Z. Not this year. And my wifes '19 Stingray convertible's replacement is now $20K more than we paid for it.

·
21,398 Posts
I believe On Star runs off a satellite connection and not a network. Thus the reason it needs to be outside for a software update. Something doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that is what I thought too. However if you Google how does OnStar work it tells you that the system works off a cellular network routing calls to the tech center. The tech center then takes your call and can use GPS to locate your vehicle. There are area’s that have no coverage because you have no cell network.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,872 Posts
Onstar works off of AT&T cellular network architecture

Which is moving to 5G networks so older cars will lose that service
GM also killed off hand free phoning

Do a search to find out more, think GM announced 5G only few weeks back

1 - 4 of 4 Posts