Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found an insurance company that really covers the open track days at a road racing circuit?
I know lots of people have said they were covered, but I personally feel they haven't been too honest with their insurance companies.
I called my company (USAA) and they said even if it was classified as a driving school no way no how am I covered if I put my car on a track.
At the last track day I observed a guy rolled his brand new BMW 540i. Ouch. I don't want to be that guy and find out I'm not covered.
Any help?
Ffen

·
Registered
620 Posts
Driver,
I have been doing open track events for 16 years and have seen many accidents on track.
I have been in more than I care to admit, also. (not driving but as a passenger).
All of the accidents I have seen or heard about have been covered by the owner's insurance company. That does not mean all accidents are covered, just the ones I am familiar with.
The key to filing a successful claim is to show that the events are for driver education purposes and are not a racing events or even a racing school.
My friend totaled his 944 ten years ago at Mid-Ohio. He also had USAA insurance. They put up a fight and investigated the claim pretty thoroughly but paid it when they could not prove the car was being used in competiton. Claim was $15,000.
Read your policy carefully. I am not surprised at what your agent told you. What else could he say? However, he may be wrong!
I would say 80% of the accidents I have seen on track were in the rain. Respect it!
Dave

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have USAA as well. I called last year before attending a SCCA High Performance Driving School at Thunderhill. I was told that it is covered as long as it is a school, it is not being timed, and there is no racing.
Hopefully the answer doesn't change with each person you talk to!:roll:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. Interesting that the insurance company has said one thing to me and another to Dr Z.
However, it gives me a little more piece of mind to know people have been covered before by this.

·
Registered
467 Posts
According to NASA: State Farm and Farmers are the best when working out claims. AAA and Progressive aren't as corporative but too have always paid the claims.

It *must* be a drivers school.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts