Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Story for You

Guys and gals,

I wanted to get your opinion on a situation I was just involved in. I respond to an add for a car for sale in Virginia..I am in Texas. Its a 2003 Z06. The add says he needs to sale by the end of March. I call him up and decide to go up on the 21st, but after talking to him I decide that he is pretty anxious to get rid of this car and I am very interested in it, so I call him up and say that I am planning to fly up on the 10th and drive it home. He says great. So I buy my non-refundable plane ticket ($480). I go into my bank to get the loan...for a portion of the total price of the car and my bank finds out that he has a lien on it and they will not release a check until they can be guaranteed they will have the title upon completion of the sale. I call him up and he says that he paid it off last week, but the title wont be released until the 17th. So I either pay another 100 to reschedule the flight after the 17th or I just eat the cost and forget about the car. So I call him once again to get his opinion on the situation, and he says he doesnt really care what I do. I then say that I wish he had told me about the title not being released until the 17th when I told him I would be coming up. He then says "well I guess I learned my lesson to go on good faith with a KID"...i say "did you just call me a kid?" he says "yeah if you werent a kid you wouldnt have to get a loan for this car"...i was so po'ed I hung up after calling him an ass. I stated before I hung up that I doubt someone would give him $34,500 for a car without being able to drive off with the title. He then stated "well how many cars have you bought?..i just bought one from a dealer and got the bill of sale and they mailed the title later"....so after hanging up and thinking about the situation I came to three realizations...
1. If he thinks I shouldnt have to get a loan...then why did he have a lien on the car?

2. Dealers are different from a private seller. If you buy a car from a dealer the title clerk will take care of the titling process. Thats not the case with a private seller. I'd be goin on good faith that I would get the title.

3. jswatek is not my favorite person right now. Buyers beware, this car is posted on this site. While it is a nice car, I cant say the same about the seller.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It is hard to give a factual opinion with only half the story. There are always at least 3 points of view...yours, his, and the correct one. That being said it is probably a buyers market this time of year in Virginia and in this case he is the one trying to sell his car. It doesn't appear to me that he is really that interested in selling or perhaps there may be a problem with the title. I think most serious sellers would have offered you the $100 change fee. Anytime a seller plays hardball I am suspect. Again this is all being said with only half the story.
:mah:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sounds like a real shady guy. Probably better that you did'nt purchase from a person like that. Yea, alot of the time you can find a great deal from a private seller but this is a perfect reason why I would rather buy from a dealer and pay a bit more than go through the hassel of a private seller being rude and abnoxious thinking you owe them something extra! :z:

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
Keep Looking IMHO. You will find the right car. Do not be in a hurry and get the best deal you can at the time. Good Luck in your search. Sorry your out the plane ticket money. :cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Sorry about the money you lost for the ticket. There are plenty of fish in the sea. You will find another Zee, who knows it may be even nicer. I don't know his side of the story, but IMO you could have doted your eyes and crossed your tee's a little better. I'm sure this is a good learning experience for you and everyone else that reads this thread. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
IT L GO said:
Sorry about the money you lost for the ticket. There are plenty of fish in the sea. You will find another Zee, who knows it may be even nicer. I don't know his side of the story, but IMO you could have doted your eyes and crossed your tee's a little better. I'm sure this is a good learning experience for you and everyone else that reads this thread. :cheers:

Very well said. Some of this you need to chalk up to learning experience. And the biggest difference between someone older and younger usually is the more you see (and hopefully know) tends to influence how you approach things in the future. The key is learning without becoming close minded. Don't let this get you down. Best of luck on your search!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I learned the hard way there is alot of questions you need to ask in advance when buying from a private owner.When I bought my previuos 94 vette,I had to run my butt all over town trying to track down the title.I gave the guy who told me he was the owner a deposit and came back the next day with a cashiers check.I found out then he was not the owner but a friend of his was.. and the bank owned it Anyway..it was a disaster..the owner was very cocky and rude.What a hassle..so ask every question you can think of so there are no surprises...Good luck :coo:

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Sorry to hear about this deal gone bad. I'm sure you were psyched about the purchase. You as the buyer need to do everything you possibly can to protect yourself.

I guess you know the old real estate cliche..."location, location, location."

Hopefully you learned a lesson here and in any future transactions, you need to heed the buyer's cliche... "homework, homework, homework."

Charlie

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Enough already said. :yeadog: The old proverb, "It probably wasn't meant to be" applies and I am sure you will locate a better car and deal, with someone good to work with. There are Z's FOR SALE on this site which may be worth a look. Good luck. :thumb:

Bob

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The title is.... EVERYTHING!

That should be the first topic of discussion - even before price. It will serve the buyer peace of mind and will serve the seller that he/she is not dealing with a newbie...

If you are a distance away - have the seller fax a copy of the title so you can make sure it is an unencumbered (some states, i.e. - NY, issue title to the owner even with a bank loan) or clear title and is not a salvage or reconstruction title.

At a minimum do a Carfax (private or dealer sale).

No guarantees but lets both parties know that it is real business - not game time. :usa:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts