Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure there is a thread somewhere on it, but what do you guys think about running a 16" ET street on say Camaro wheels with the stock 17's still on the front. I know you will likely get sway at the big end, but is it really that bad. I would like the extra traction of the 16's tire but don't really have an extra mortgage to take out on CCW's. Opinions Welcome.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Been there done that.

You can use the Camaro rims, but you'll have to grind some material of off the upper ball joint.

It took me about an hour of careful grinding with a dremmel. Just be careful not to go too deep or you'll ruin the ball joint. If you take your time and grind a little at a time you'll be O.K. I have been running like this now for about 30k miles with no issues.

My advice is to buy a set that will fit right off the bat if you can afford it.

Btw, the sway at the top end is no big deal. I trapped 118+ with no issues, and they hooked like a mofo!!

Jason

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I'm sure will say no big deal,, Ok that's fine, but what tire pressure do they run on the rea tires, the lower you go the more problems you will have.. I for one have tried it, and I will tell you at 120 + it's no damn fun..

John at CCW will sell just the fronts, you can save some money using the Camero wheels, but I would spend the money for the safety..

Ernie

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
DreamRide said:
Been there done that.
Btw, the sway at the top end is no big deal. I trapped 118+ with no issues, and they hooked like a mofo!!

Jason
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pm me when you trap 125+ with 12 psi in the rears THEN we'll see.

Get the skinnies up front!! Use the front Z rims for the 17" ET streets and you'll get all the traction you'll ever need with 600 RWHP or less.

JMO

-Tony

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL, so you guys that have ran the 17" Et Streets think they hook good? Put them down to about 10 psi and I should dead hook?

Thanks for the responses guys

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Dead hook and rip a shaft apart!!!

If you launch at a high rpm......better be hardened!! For launches 3k and down....you should be ok for a while, but bogging gets old.:D

-Tony

·
Registered
63 Posts
Whoa, you guys are talking about some insanely low tire pressures here. I was able to hook beautifully with the 16" MT's with about 15-16lbs in them. I launched at about 5000rpm with no issues. But then again I am only making about 370 -380 rwhp, so I guess it's all relative.

Jason

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now that we have established the 17's are a good choice, how many of you run tubes with them. I know of a few who haven't. What do yall think?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I run the 16"s I have tubes in them, plus I have screws as well.. I have run as low as 10lbs

I now run M&H on the rear, same size as the MT, but I can run a little more air and get the same traction.

Ernie

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Ernie King said:
I run the 16"s I have tubes in them, plus I have screws as well.. I have run as low as 10lbs

I now run M&H on the rear, same size as the MT, but I can run a little more air and get the same traction.

Ernie
Hey ernie I'm thinking about running those M&H's. They do make a wider size than the MT16x11.5. I'd like to chat with u about them. Are u running the same skinnies from the drag package.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Rob,

Yes on the skinnies, I have been trying to find a better tire for the front though.

As far as the rears, I'm not 100% sure they do.. Do you have a copy of National Dragster?? or can you find a copy.. Mine are all gone so I would look for you,, but there is an add, call the number and they will put you in touch with the person in question.

I got a Good Deal on mine, just can't find any of the paper work. S%^$ i'll be out of luck when I need to replace them. :blush:

But just to let you know I can run 2 to 3 lbs more and get the same traction plus I picked up 2 mph

Ernie

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Sounds good. I spoke with the guy from M&H and he said his tire is slightly wider and hooks just as good. He also said he was in the process of making a skinny to match that was less of a road tire. I like the ccw skinny because it is bulletproof on the street, just not sure if you sacrifice some on the track. I'll call the guy to see if his rubber(front and back ) fit on the ccw rims.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Ernie King said:
Rob,

Yes on the skinnies, I have been trying to find a better tire for the front though.

As far as the rears, I'm not 100% sure they do.. Do you have a copy of National Dragster?? or can you find a copy.. Mine are all gone so I would look for you,, but there is an add, call the number and they will put you in touch with the person in question.

I got a Good Deal on mine, just can't find any of the paper work. S%^$ i'll be out of luck when I need to replace them. :blush:

But just to let you know I can run 2 to 3 lbs more and get the same traction plus I picked up 2 mph

Ernie
Are you sure the mph and 60' gain are not from having the new setup. I'm expecting tens from you soon!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts