Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting very close to needing to replace my stock rear F1's..

I am looking for personal experiences on a good tire upgrade..

I am not too fond of the F1's,so I want to go another route..

I would like a tire with great grip(like a drag radial) but still has a stiffer sidewall for cornering and good handling characteristics..

Longevity isn't a real issue since I only drive my Z about 5000 miles a year..

All of my fellow Zo6 owners,your comments are appreciated :cheers:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sounds like you need some Nitto R2s (Road Race) with a tread wear rating of 100 (lower is sticker and the stock SCs are rated at 220). These use the same rubber compund as their drag radials and have stiffer sidewalls for performance cornering. They last somewhere between 7000 - 12,000 miles depending on your driving habits and road surfaces.

I think you may have to get with Discount Tire to get Nitto brand tires.

Later ... Larry S.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MislMan said:
Sounds like you need some Nitto R2s (Road Race) with a tread wear rating of 100 (lower is sticker and the stock SCs are rated at 220). These use the same rubber compund as their drag radials and have stiffer sidewalls for performance cornering. They last somewhere between 7000 - 12,000 miles depending on your driving habits and road surfaces.

I think you may have to get with Discount Tire to get Nitto brand tires.

Later ... Larry S.
Thanks Larry..

I checked those out and they look very nice..

If they perform the way they are described,they would be perfect..

Have you personally used them??

·
Registered
853 Posts
I got 20000+ miles out of my F1-s, i don't think there are much better all around tires out there...

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Do a search on tires. :thumb: There are probably thousands of threads. :yeadog:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
TriPinTaZ said:
i use the nitto 305/35/18 drag radials and love them.
Do you have your 305's mounted on your stock 10.5" wheels or did you go with a wider wheel?

Thanks, D.J.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think you should get some! :rofl: No just kidding!

I haven't had Nitto R2s yet but here good things about them, may try them.

Until then I have enjoyed the Kumho ECSTA MX's. JEM and I even got accused of having R compound by two guys in Z's at Pocono raceway. You can imagine their surprise when I showed them the Kumho's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
They fit on the stock 10.5 inch rim. I have C6 motorsports wheels but they are the same sizes as the stock Z06 wheel.

the 305/35/18 drag radial only has about a .19 inch difference in tire height to the stock 295/35/18's. They fit perfectly and grip is great.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I am currently running the Nitto 555RII's on my stock sized rims. I was looking for the same thing in a tire as you are and these fill the bill perfectly. I have about 4k miles on mine and they should last another 4k miles. Highly recommend the RII's.

Jim

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Andrew,

The Supercar tires are some of the best for our cars since they last so long (I got about 25k miles from mine). The ONLY tires I would actually consider for my car are the Supercars, Michelin PS2s and the NITTO 555 RIIs. I'm getting a new set of tires and I deicided on the RIIs - I hear their grip is amazing!

I was also curious about their personality in the wet. I decided to find out for myself since I get them very soon.

Notice the big smile on my face in anticipation...

Alex :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ZO6 AL-X said:
Andrew,

The Supercar tires are some of the best for our cars since they last so long (I got about 25k miles from mine). The ONLY tires I would actually consider for my car are the Supercars, Michelin PS2s and the NITTO 555 RIIs. I'm getting a new set of tires and I deicided on the RIIs - I hear their grip is amazing!

I was also curious about their personality in the wet. I decided to find out for myself since I get them very soon.

Notice the big smile on my face in anticipation...

Alex :D
Post back with you're personal experience...

Sounds ike the Nitto R II's are the way to go for me...
:yeadog:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sorry for a late reply. We run the Nitto R2's on my wife's '95 Vette Coupe. I will be getting them for my '04 Z06 real soon. I was waiting until I made my mind up on a choice of wheels. I decided I like the stock wheels just fine and will be getting R2's in 275/17 for the front and 305/18 for the rear. Their performance in rain is very good (we have quite a bit of rain here in Central Florida) and their dry surface traction is awesome. I have also driven agressively (drivers event at Road Atlanta) on some Toyo RA1's and those are also awesome for traction. Neither of these tires last more than about 7-12K miles but the traction and feel when driving passionately are worth the price of admission. Our Z06's are meant for driving so you might as well enjoy the best of them at every posible occasion.

Later ... Larry S.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts