Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend Rich has an 80's Sedan deVille. He asked me the other day if I knew where he could get a used Z06 engine that he plans on having his mechanic (some guy he knows from Missouri who restored his 1970 GTO) install in the Caddy. I told him this would probably be a difficult task, plus if his mechanic isn't familiar with all the new computer controls on these motors (I am thinking he's not) then he might be in for more than he's bargained for.

Any thoughts on this?

Don

·
Registered
271 Posts
Take a $1500 80s Sedan De Ville, spend $10,000 putting an LS6 in it, and end up with a $2500 80s Sedan De Ville. To each their own... :roll:

·
Banned
107 Posts
if you want an LS engine in a Caddy, there's always the CTS-V. I drove one and it was OK. They had some problems back about a year ago: it had some significant rear axle hop, would shred the gearing so much that they'd find metal in the transmission fluid, and had some oil problems as well. But the car was darn quick for a Cadillac! (oh yeah, and a Granny shifter that made you think you needed to get some skulling experience on the Potomac)

·
21,386 Posts
FiveOJoe said:
Don: A car that size may be better served with a 502 Ramjet. Probably be cheaper in the long run.
I'm with Joe on this. Convince him to put in engine with a distributor and a carb.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I agree with all the above. BTW, Edelbrock now has a 4 barrel manifold kit for the engine with the appropriate "black boxes" so the ignition system will work--and I hear it's not expensive. A fool and his money.......................... :puke:

·
Registered
378 Posts
FiveOJoe said:
Don: A car that size may be better served with a 502 Ramjet. Probably be cheaper in the long run.
:yeadog:

Mebbe also an LT1 or LT4 might work well in a car that size. I have the LT1 in my B-body '96 impalaSS.

:cheers:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Unless he is wedded to this car, it is not worth the time and money to put this amount of work into it. The better approach is to buy something newer with the power you want or find a similar hot rod that someone else spent way to much on and is now trying to recoup something for it, now that they have tired of it.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
B_P_fox said:
:yeadog:

Mebbe also an LT1 or LT4 might work well in a car that size. I have the LT1 in my B-body '96 impalaSS.

:cheers:
Nick,

Thanks. I will try to counsel him (yeah right, he's a lawyer) on this idea.

As for the 502, I presume this is a crate motor ("plug and play") that can be ordered directly from GM. Any ideas on approximate costs? I know he'll ask if I suggest, so I'd like to give him some ideas.

Tom/Backlash,

I agree about the costs...but he seems hell bent on the idea of sticking a big motor in this car. His original thought was to try and pick up a Z06 motor from a wreck. But I am thinking those probably don't hang around to long. Of course, I could probably sell him mine if I decided to go bigger in my Z. :D

Don

·
Registered
259 Posts
HI DON
I agree with the guys that are saying it's a waste of $$$$ that being said if he is dead set on this I would suggest the following. If it is a front wheel drive car have Art Morrison fabricate a square tube frame for it and make it a rear wheel drive out of it ( I don't know Caddys that well ) . 502 engine , four speed auto , Ford 9 in rear with 3.90 gears, ladder bars and the biggest meats you can get on the rear axle. ( tubbing is not an option she should look stock ) coil over suspension all around. This is what I would do if I was :screwy: and had a lot of $$$$ to p!$s away but it would be different
BOB
P.S. Give Jessie James a call maybe he will do it on Monster Garage :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Don Benson said:
Nick,

Thanks. I will try to counsel him (yeah right, he's a lawyer) on this idea.

As for the 502, I presume this is a crate motor ("plug and play") that can be ordered directly from GM. Any ideas on approximate costs? I know he'll ask if I suggest, so I'd like to give him some ideas.
Don
Don, I used a 502 crate engine because I wanted to keep an the original 396 out of an all serial number correct Camaro, but I wanted to have alittle more punch. So I stored the 396 and and slapped one in. Fuel injection is great but all the wiring to retrofit the LS6 with the ECM would be alittle much. BUT it is just money. I have 47K in a silly 1990 Civic Hatchback for my son that I could probably sell for 4k and it doesn't even have AC.
Tell him it is like paying a lawyer 10k to sue someone for 5k.
Sometimes it is just BECAUSE you need to to do it to satisfy yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts