Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been looking at the various exhaust systems.

How many have PRT's and how many Corsa's?

Have the PRT's problems been solved?

I'm looking for something loud, something exotic.

JC

·
Registered
0 Posts
JC,

I have the PRTs as you know. So far, no problems since the switch from my other PRTs. According to Mike Ryan of B&B, they have built a template to resolve any quality inconsistancies. I am once again VERY happy with my PRTs.

Disclaimer...I recieved my PRTs free before this forum came into existance. I developed a severe resonance problem with the first set, but in my honest opinion, B&B has resolved the problem. JMHO

Sherylann Calmes Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you compared them to the Corsas?

Which sounds better? I've listened to the online stuff, but that's not quite real is it...

Listened to Speedshift's PRT's, sounded nice. Never heard a set of the Pace Car's..

JC

·
Registered
0 Posts
JC,

You honestly need to go to a Vette show and listen to all the exhausts and then ask for a ride. Everyone has different likes. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
427 Posts
I can say by sales that the PRTs are the most popular. The issues with the resonation have been remedied. That problem affected the first sets sold only.
I have the PRTs on my coupe now. I have had all exhausts presently offered on my coupe!
I really like the PRTs the best so far. You cant go wrong!

Nate

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
If you want an exhaust with the greatest variance between its noise level on acceleration and its noise level at cruise the Corsa Indys are it. This is not debatable. The patented sound cancellation technology employed by Corsa means that at cruise they are stock quiet or maybe even quieter. On acceleration, they are as loud or louder than the PRTs. On my Z06 with a top end package they are absolutely killer at wot. I have heard nothing any louder. At the Birthday Bash several people heard me autox and asked me if I was running headers and NO mufflers. Yet on the 1000 mile cruise home they never intruded on the passenger compartment. You will never-- NEVER hear resonance from a Corsa exhaust. Oh, I bought my Corsas used from a friend and they are now on their 4th C5.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Has anyone seen the new Corsa with the Megaphone tips? If you have them on your Vette can you please post some pictures.
Thanks,
Al E

M

·
0 Posts

On 2001-04-25 16:17, Al E spewed forth this drivel:
Has anyone seen the new Corsa with the Megaphone tips? If you have them on your Vette can you please post some pictures.
Thanks,
Al E
I don't have them on my car but here they are from the Museum...straight from West Coast Corvettes setup in the vendor area...

Mark

·
Registered
680 Posts
I also like the stock /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif And I bet it gets better with miles......If I can ever stop work and start driving!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have never been enamored of stock exhausts, but considering the exclusiveness of titanium and the great sound over my 2000 with an aa mod; it is staying.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I love the sound of my stock Ti exhaust. If someone comes out with an aftermarket exhaust that's as light as the Ti exhaust, sounds better, produces more HP, and is "reasonably" priced then I'll consider it. So far I haven't seen one.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Love the sound of my Corsa Indys withe GTR tips! Plan on exchanging them when the '02 comes in also. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Zippy /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been playing around with the idea of a modified exhaust system for some time now.

I went out and bought the Borla XR-1 Race Exhaust system as many have stated it to be the most aggressive sounding available.

It reduces the stock exhaust system weight by 40lbs (less in comparison to the Ti I would guess) and supposedly has a power increase of 10 to 20HP. There is additional resonance at 2K RPM, however, I have heard that there is an additional modification to cut this down (Still checking in to that part).

Now, I plan on adding in a set of High Flow CATs and TTS Headers with the pre-cats eliminated. Btw, I've heard that there is a set of Ti Headers available or soon to come out - that is the set I will buy if it is "all that" and high quality.

This is of course in preparation of later buying in to a set of Stage II or III heads and cam.

I'll keep you all posted as things come together! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

So, any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dragon- I'm considering the XR-1 for my Z06. I heard one on an FRC during the Big Sur cruise, and it sounded awesome!!!
I have some concern about the resonance, but after speaking with Borla, I think it could be addressed if there was a problem.

I'd like to see someone dyno a Z06 with the XR-1 and see if they made any extra power. I haven't seen enough results with other exhausts to believe that there is a consistent power gain. I was looking at the PRTs last year, but then Mako reported he actually LOST power after he installed them!

Sounds like you and I are headed in the same direction for our cars. I'm looking to add headers, cam and heads as soon as cash permits! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

We should get together sometime and compare notes, I live in San Mateo and work in Hayward. You can check out my nitrous install if you like! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks Frank!

Yes, I know RAT got a gain with the PRTs on his car, but then Mako reported a loss?!

Two totally conflicting results. Now if there were ten or more people who had seen a gain with the PRTs (or other brand), and only one that had lost, then I would be more convinced that there was some hp to be made.

Anyone else made any power with an aftermarket exhaust on the Z06???

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts