Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi sunday must be the day for cleaning our zs i just got done using adams for the first time and im very happy with the product. So I am wondering what causes orange peel is this from the factory?? and is there anything I can do to make it better?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,357 Posts
Yes, orange peel is a product of the spray process. You can get rid of it by wet sanding and polishing. Most do not want to do this as it scares them to take sand paper to their cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
Yes, orange peel is a product of the spray process. You can get rid of it by wet sanding and polishing. Most do not want to do this as it scares them to take sand paper to their cars.
If you drive fast enough no one will see it and you will be to busy to care :jammin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks norman i wouldnt even attempt that myself but i know someone who can. Hub cap your advice is probobly they way I will go until I get a cvhance to get her in for the sanding thanks!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,543 Posts
I have a full re-clear in my not too distant future.....love my Z, hate the factory paint surface.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
EFI-1 said:
I have a full re-clear in my not too distant future.....love my Z, hate the factory paint surface.
Have you sanded your Z. The only spot that REALLY bothers me is the center of the rear bumper and I am relictant to sand it because of the recessed letters and am afraid it will go through the clear on those edges when I buff it back up.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
107 Posts
hub_cap said:
If you drive fast enough no one will see it and you will be to busy to care :jammin:

Hey now, Hub. I agree, but we definitely don't want people breaking the limits out there cuz they read it on the forum. So keep it to the posted limit, not even 5 above. It's the rulez you know. :screwy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,543 Posts
agentf1 said:
Have you sanded your Z. The only spot that REALLY bothers me is the center of the rear bumper and I am relictant to sand it because of the recessed letters and am afraid it will go through the clear on those edges when I buff it back up.
No sanding. The factory clear is kinda thin in many spots and I would prefer to have it done proper. I will have my body guy do the whole thing.....I don't like sanding on GM finishes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
EFI-1 said:
No sanding. The factory clear is kinda thin in many spots and I would prefer to have it done proper. I will have my body guy do the whole thing.....I don't like sanding on GM finishes.
I agree. Do you have any spots where your base coat is thin? Check edges of hood and trunk, mirrors and different spots where it is hard for the robot to hit. I only have it on my trunk edges but have seen some that are worst.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,543 Posts
agentf1 said:
I agree. Do you have any spots where your base coat is thin? Check edges of hood and trunk, mirrors and different spots where it is hard for the robot to hit. I only have it on my trunk edges but have seen some that are worst.
I do have some thin areas around the trunk. Definitely not making the mil requirements there.

Norman, you're killing me! :rofl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
my last c5 had been professionally wet sanded and buffed and WOW did it make a difference. i'd pay to have it done on my next car(provided its done right of course)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
I'm currently looking for a C5 Z06 and noticed how poorly the paint is sprayed on from the factory. I asked the salesman if the car had ever been wrecked and resprayed because there was so much orange peel. He showed me several other C5's and then to a new C6 and all of them have it. The factory really should look into this as it takes away from the beauty of the car. My Vipers paint was flawless and the multiple clear coat was smooth as glass. It was simply beautiful.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top