Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I live in Los Angeles and i'm thinking of buying my car in Georgia to get it sooner.First, as far as vechicle registration goes how does buying a out of state car get the car registered in CA? Do i do it? Also can people who have done this please tell me of any risks involved.Nervous in CA.Thanks G.

J

·
0 Posts
I ordered a car over the phone..(NON ZO6)..Picked it up and drove it home..of course If I remember correctly I did have to pay sales tax in home state, get it inspected and register it myself at the dmv ..it was no big deal....but I needed someone at the time who would disconnect the passenger side air bag for my kid..

No one in NJ would do it..so I went out of state..

Good luck..and don't sweat it.
------------------------------------
Just a note..make sure the emissions sticker is for all 50 states including NY/NJ/California..so you can register it when you get back home.

I believe the new zo6 comes in only one state of tune..ULEV so it shouldn't even be an issue..just check to make sure

I would recommend ordering from Maxie price if you didn't have to trade a car in.... Ric770 had some awesome deals..Seemed like a nice guy as well.

·
Registered
0 Posts
JB is right. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif No big deal!! The dealer will put a temporary tag on it so you can get home, then you register it and pay the taxes in your home state at the DMV.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Torch,

Been there, done that. No problems.

If you are from CA, you are smart to buy from out of stste.

the best,

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys I'm thinking maxie price.Rick is going to charge me CA sales tax which is 8%.Tag and title is $339.00. If i have to pay registration back here in CA what's the 339 for? Sorry little confused. When i bought my 01 vette in CA my license fees were $657.00. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry forgot also Rick wants to charge me CA lux tax which is 4% over $38,000.Does that sound right? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Yup, had to pay for Lux tax too....

I think it sounds right, but then what the hell do I know? I just love my car /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

JC

·
Registered
837 Posts

On 2001-08-11 12:03, Torched wrote:

Ok guys I'm thinking maxie price.Rick is going to charge me CA sales tax which is 8%.Tag and title is $339.00. If i have to pay registration back here in CA what's the 339 for? Sorry little confused. When i bought my 01 vette in CA my license fees were $657.00. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

One thing is certain; some state will collect all the taxes when you buy a new car. Question is whether it will be GA or CA.

It should be collected by CA unless CA has a reciprocal agreement with GA. I'd suggest calling the CA MVA and verifying the existence of the reciprocal agreement whereby taxes paid to Maxie Price in GA will be credited to you when you register the car in CA. If CA says yes, you'll just need to get from Maxie copies of all the docs and your check(s) for payment.

When I bought my car in Iowa, I just paid for the car. All taxes were paid to Maryland when I registered it here. Iowa was willing to wave tax collection to the registering state.

Good luck with your decisionmaking.

Ranger

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I may be wrong, but doesn't CA have some weird emission requirements in buying new cars out of state? I lived in CA 25+ years ago and they made owners wait several months to register cars in CA which were bought out of state. This was to keep people from buying cars that did not have stringent pollution eqt, and it kept people from buying cars in Oregon (no sales tax) and then binging them into CA avoiding taxes all together.

I'm sure Maxie Price has a lot of experience selling cars to CA, so I'd trust what rickd770 says /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Vince

·
Registered
266 Posts

On 2001-08-11 13:47, Manatee spewed forth this drivel:
I may be wrong, but doesn't CA have some weird emission requirements in buying new cars out of state? I lived in CA 25+ years ago and they made owners wait several months to register cars in CA which were bought out of state. This was to keep people from buying cars that did not have stringent pollution eqt, and it kept people from buying cars in Oregon (no sales tax) and then binging them into CA avoiding taxes all together.

I'm sure Maxie Price has a lot of experience selling cars to CA, so I'd trust what rickd770 says /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Vince

Corvettes, as of 2001 are 50 state smog legal. CA does require a smog cert. on out of state cars. My Z06 even has a note on under hood sticker " Approved for use in CA". Mine came from Estes in Indiana and was registered with no problem..

2k /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
136 Posts
I bought mine out of state in june & get it next week here in CA. I paid for the car & the Lux tax to the selling dealer, I will pay Ca sales tax, tags, and a courtesy delivery fee to the CA dealer. I choose this route to save on a trip to the DMV, the delivery dealer will act as my selling dealer for warranty issues, and I get the car with 6 miles ont the clock. Lux tax is as stated above, reg has gone down a bunch.... my 01 was $600 to reg, renewal was $340, and I checked with the delivering dealer for a total to release the car.....& from that # I would guess the reg is about $400. I've also heard that a DMV trip is necessary on all imported cars for smog issues......but the delivery dealer is a smog station so no trip for me! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Bob

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Torched,

There is a Federal luxury tax on all cost over $38,000. If you are ordering new, specify Y5C California emissions. Your Ca Tag and license on a new Z06 should be about $813.00 depending on your options. Ca charges a 1 and 1/2 percent Ad Valorem (Personal property) tax on vehicles at registration. This tax alone should be $750 on a $50,000 car. Sales tax depends on your county, but 8% is about right in the Golden State. If you have courtesy delivery here, the dealer will smog the car. If not, get it smogged. The info goes by computer to the DMV.

DMV tells me it is OK for an out of state dealer to collect tax and tag fees. This saves you a trip to the DMV.

jerboa /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your answers.I plan to do a muesum delivery and have it trucked back.Does this change my questions or your answers at all? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts

On 2001-08-11 10:39, Torched spewed forth this drivel:
Hello all,
I live in Los Angeles and i'm thinking of buying my car in Georgia to get it sooner.First, as far as vechicle registration goes how does buying a out of state car get the car registered in CA? Do i do it? Also can people who have done this please tell me of any risks involved.Nervous in CA.Thanks G.

I just did it - bought a Z06 in New Jersey for registration in Pennsylvania. The NJ dealer had the PA forms and applied for PA registration on behalf (I signed the form when I took delivery of the car in NJ). Then the NJ dealer gave me a 20-day NJ temporary out-of-state registration, which is a sticker for the back window to use until the PA plates and registration arrive in the mail. I believe this process is routine, and is recognized nationwide.

Bob Cross
[email protected] /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

On 2001-08-11 16:03, Torched spewed forth this drivel:
Thanks for all your answers.I plan to do a muesum delivery and have it trucked back.Does this change my questions or your answers at all? Thanks again.

Depends on where the delivery company drops the car. At your door, then you do the smog check in order to complete the registration process.

jerboa /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
A couple of comments to what everyone else has already stated. First, licensing and title (in CA) should be approximately 1.4% of the selling price of the vehicle.

Jeboa's said it is 1.6% so this may vary by County in CA.

CA Sales tax (a real PITA and enough to drive a life long resident to seek residence in another state) is 8% of the car's selling price. Again, this may vary by County.

Luxo tax is as previously stated, however I was told it will go down in 2002 (calender) year to 3% of the amount over $38k and phased out completely by the year 2004.

As a rule of thumb, multiply the actual vehicle selling price by 10.6% and that should be close to what you pay to the CA legislature for "the great privledge" of living in this wonderful state.

As was stated by others, there is usually a courtesy delivery fee paid to the dealer who handles the delivery and does the "PDI" (pre delivery & inspection?). This MUST be done on the car before customer pickup. I would presume the CA smog check is included in the "PDI" fee, as well as filing all the paperwork with the DMV to have the tags and registration issued to the purchaser, although this is usually broken out separately as a "document fee".

A smog test at time of customer delivery is undoubtedly a rip off, as these cars are already 50 state legal, NLEV, ie, a national low emissions vehicle, and certified by GM to meet CA emissions. I believe there might even be a CA smog test done at the factory IAW with this certification.

I have no idea what purpose a pre-delivery smog test serves other than to further fill the coffers of the state treasury and add to the rage of taxpapers. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif

Since you are doing NCM delivery, things may be different for that, but should not affect the financials regarding a CA resident much if any.

As an aside, on the "courtesy" delivery subject, let me just say I am absolutely appauled at the way certain dealers behave in shirking this responsibility. This is a 'real sore subject' with certain dealers and some absolutely refuse to be a part of it.

I personally would love to "black list" a few dealer I know of here in CA for turning their backs on would-be customers because they lost the sale. This is downright bad PR. However, the main reason such dealers in Norcal are losing sales (IMHO) is because they are obviously price gouging Corvette buyers. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Torched,

There are a lot of people on this forum ranting on about taxes , costs, fees, dealers, and DMV requirements. I have a signed contract with a Georgia dealer and I have the straight story from Ca DMV on delivery of an out of state car in Ca. If you want controversy, keep listening to the misinformation you are getting here. If you want the reality of the Ga deal, talk to me. jerboa /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
jerboa, instead of making snide comments and calling everyones help "misinformation" why don't you share what you *know* with the forum. We have a few seconds....

JC

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Torched,
As KWK SLVR said, I bought in NJ for CT reg, dealer handled all paperwrk except CT reg...........
The deal was flawless, Good luck..........

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

1 - 20 of 27 Posts