Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and can't find anything on installing a hardened output shaft. Learned on DTEs site that the brace is a two hour job and can be done with the diff in the car. I was wondering what the LOE was for the output shaft. Does the diff have to come completely out of the car? Has anyone done it at the same time as a clutch install? Just wondered if there was much labor overlap... Lastly, I'm probably going to see around 500 at the wheels with my nitrous install. What are the thoughts on starting with just the brace? Anyway, thanks in advance. TJ

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Because of the transmission shaft you need to remove the differntial. I'll be doing one for a member next week and I'll do a DIY then or pull apart the rear I have sitting in the garage and do one.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, Tom. That doesn't look like much fun... I can visualize the all other parts laying around the garage. :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
OP shaft install

I just finished doing a couple. Diff has to come out. Mark everthing with a marker will help on the reassembly. Ring gear separation and reinstall @ 145 #--trick is to get a proper method to retorque it.(this is only when you also change the right sude OP shaft) Also you'll need to compress the clutch pak on right side to install the lock pin in casing. There is now a hardened OP shaft for the right side also but you'll need an extra salvage unit to use the left spider gear to put it together(if not RSG sells it $400?). Rockland Standard gear has the parts. Also consider getting and hardened trans input shaft if you are a serious racer. Parts cost for each OP shaft $280, Trans IP shaft $580 (big job)-you need good knowledge of the transmission work. I might suggest you send both to RSG-they do a great job. If you have a freind in a dealership they can download details for the service manual.
Hope this helps
Regards
RJ :thumb: :coo:

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Took me an hour and fifteen minutes including about 20 pics.
Loading the pics up now and decriptions.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom, you're amazing... It looks like you even redesigned your web page for the project?

Great job!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts