Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
My car is overheating since yesterday, I added more coolant, and it is still overheating in traffic and on the freeway and regular speeds 240-244 degrees F. I don't know what the problem might be. Thermostat? something stuck in the air intake? any ideas guys?
Thanks

·
Registered
289 Posts
R1GuyZ06 said:
Hi guys,
My car is overheating since yesterday, I added more coolant, and it is still overheating in traffic and on the freeway and regular speeds 240-244 degrees F. I don't know what the problem might be. Thermostat? something stuck in the air intake? any ideas guys?
Thanks
Check simplest things first....
1) crap from street blocking radiator
2)thermostat

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Adding to the list of simple things to check:
- Are the fans coming on in the upper 220s?
- Check the oil level (Have you looked at oil temp?)
- Check the serpentine belt

Not so simple, but possible, is a water pump problem.

Those temps are at the upper end of my comfort scale. I think the car essentially goes into limp mode at 260ish. I'd suggest a trip to the dealer if you can't find something really obvious.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Check to see if your fans are coming on. Also check the cooling system( water pump and, thermostat, and rad cap). I would also recomend that you check to see that your air dam isn't broken. I have seen this happen before and that is the only way for air to get directed up to the radiator. If it's not there or not working your car will overheat too.
HTH
-matt

·
Registered
387 Posts
I had the same problem, it got progressively worse. Turns out it was a blown head gasket.
You should go to Pep Boys to have your cooling system checked.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Are the fans coming on? Stop driving it until the problem fixed :cheers:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Check pump pressure.
Fans.
Coolent level? Dexcool?

My theory. Pull Radiator. These cars are like 2800 cfm vacuum cleaners. I bet you not be able to see through it. Three hour job to pull, blow with high pressure hose, install.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OK, this is what I'm thinking happened. 2 nights ago, I parked the car outside a gas station and I had the hand brake on but did not put in gear, my friend started honking at me, and when I turned around I saw my car rolling down the hill, it hit an old pick up truck, and that stopped the car. When I saw the damage, the right corner (facia) got smashed a little, boy was I upset. So, maybe one of air intakes was damaged, I have not inspected the car yet. But I will today.
I think the fans start working at around 220f and then the temperature goes to 240, 241, 244, and then back to 230, I will inspect for damage under the hood. BTW, the right corner just popped back to its normal shape, and only minor scratches are visible.
Thanks for all your help. This maybe a stupid question, but where is the thermostat located?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
here is the deal guys:
-oil level is good
-coolant level good
-air filter nice and clean
-radiator clean of any debris
*Note to self, never leave an unattended woman in the Z if she does not know how to apply the hand brake or any of the gears.
Image below, damage to the front ouch!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Another Emergency Brake story. We ought to make this a sticky. :cry:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts