Corvette Z06 Forum banner

P0343 - Danger!

11K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  martyh 
#1 ·
Throwing P0343 - "Cam Position Sensor High Voltage", car was also hard to start. Replaced cam sensor and checked wiring continuity - still threw the code.

Called Chris at ECS who told me the most likely cause for the code was that the bolts securing the timing chain sprocket to the camshaft were backing out, allowing the cam to shift back in the block and putting the reluctor ring out of range of the cam sensor. Chris said ECS has seen a number of 03-04 Z's with this defect. Obviously, if the bolts back all the way out, the cam stops rotating and a running motor becomes toast.

Chris warned me not to drive the car until the bolts were checked. So, I hauled the car to ECS where, sure enough, they found all three cam bolts loose and one just about to fall out. While Mark was in there, we took the opportunity to slip in a blower cam, double row timing chain and 921 springs. 500 miles on the car since then with no codes!

Big thanks to Chris and ECS - those guys are the best!

#2 ·
Been there, done that! Chris and crew had to do the same to mine. Nothing like calling Chris while you are already worried and have him call it the "Code of death". Moments like that are priceless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.