Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. What tool(s) do you use to compress the pistons when changing pads? If possible, be specific. :cheers:

Thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
I use large channel-lock pliers. Just keep the old pad in place so that you don't cock the piston when pushing it back into the caliper.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You can use a large C clamp and a block of wood,but if you go to sears they sell a tool for 20$ that works good,and is easy to use.It works on a 1 or 2 piston set up. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
C clamp and the back of one of the old pads works fine. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
or you can spend a few dollars and get a brake piston compression tool (which I finally did this year). A single post unit is around 10 dollars or you can get the deluxe 2 post units for about 15.00. Any Sears or automotive store. good luck.

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
FULL MOON said:
You can use a large C clamp and a block of wood,but if you go to sears they sell a tool for 20$ that works good,and is easy to use.It works on a 1 or 2 piston set up. ;)

:yeadog: :yeadog:

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
leave the old pads in place, grab the caliper and pull it towards you. The caliper will move on its slides compressing the piston. When it is all the way back remove old pads, insert new pads and you are done. :D Done it many times, all it takes is a little muscle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
GSMZ06 said:
I use large channel-lock pliers. Just keep the old pad in place so that you don't cock the piston when pushing it back into the caliper.

Save your money, use a big pair of channel locks!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Rippied.Z06 said:
leave the old pads in place, grab the caliper and pull it towards you. The caliper will move on its slides compressing the piston. When it is all the way back remove old pads, insert new pads and you are done. :D Done it many times, all it takes is a little muscle.
This is how I do it, but I use a big flat head screwdriver to help pry out the outer edge of the caliper towards me which compresses the pistons. 9 times out of 10 I can get the new pads in this way. :cheers:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Brad - and the 10th? Inquiring minds want to know; they also want to know if you're having a garage sale this spring? Great TX results by the way.

Rob

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
RobSan said:
Brad - and the 10th? Inquiring minds want to know; they also want to know if you're having a garage sale this spring? Great TX results by the way.

Rob
On the 10th time, I usually didn't pry them out far enough to slip the new thicker pads in and have to finish the job with a c-clamp and the old pad as mentioned above. I'm pretty good with the fronts, but haven't gotten the rears all the way in a few times.

I need to empty my garage in the next four weeks or so. What do you need? :lol:

Thanks for the congrats on Texas. Memphis next up on March 19-20. Come on by, I'll likely be changing my pads. :D

·
Registered
902 Posts
silverz06vette said:
To this method add one clear hose going from caliper bleeder down to to a catch glass partially filled with brake fluid, hose end submerged in the fluid.

Once this is done crack open brake bleeder then compress pads with c-clamp when fully compressed leave clamp on while closing brake bleeder.

Sabot

1 - 17 of 17 Posts