Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 5000 miles, the engine has been steadily burning a quart of 10W-30 Mobil 1 per 1000 miles. We corresponded on this issue several times when I was at 5k. Now between 9k and 10k, the oil consumption rate has suddenly increased to about a quart per 700 miles with no change in my driving patterns. This really has me concerned about the longer term future and I have now decided to get the GM Oil Consumption Test done next week at 10k for documentation purposes at the very least. :(

Could you or someone familiar with this give me a general description of this Oil Consumption Test?? I assume they will start with an oil change and install a precisely measured amount of oil (6.5 qt) into the engine. What is the general mileage duration of this test?? I assume they will want to check the dipstick every 500 miles. At the end of the test, I assume they will drain the oil and precisely measure the drainage to determine how much oil was lost during the test.

There have been several posts regarding oil control ring changes which either failed to improve the situation or at least only provided a marginal improvement. If I remember correctly, one rering job only improved the consumption rate to about 1000 miles per qt from 500 miles which is still a really poor outcome after a major teardown of your car. Are all the re-ring jobs you are familiar been successful?? I believe an acceptable outcome would be at least 2000 miles per qt. At least one person posted that their dealership insisted that it was a faulty PCV system. It is too early to know if that repair will be successful.

I am hoping that it will turn out to be the PCV system since its repair is far less intrusive than new oil control rings.

I hate to bring up this long and much discussed topic but as time goes by some of us will be able to reply how successful which GM oil consumption repairs have actually turn out to be.

THANKS BROS :cheers:
GOLD72

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
Well, honestly, I have not seen one ring job on c5, done correctly, that has not repaired the issue. This means that 1 quart in about 3000 miles.
Now, as to the oil consumption test, we do make sure that the oil is full, as some do not do an oil change. However, it is important to know that the point at which the oil is checked, is key.
You will always have to check it every 500 miles, or very close to it. This provides a more accurate consumption rate. Usually, I ask that they simply stop by when around 500 is reached. I verify the level, add if needed, and have a receipt for the customer. Honestly, they will not drain it and then measure the level. Due to the fact that normally wil turn on the oil level light, GM just recommends that we top off, and continue until 3000.
Once this is reached, we contact technical assistance, obtain information, and further action.
We all know that some do it, and some dont. While I have had to reopen a few, it was due to misassembly.
I hope that this helps, and I would research whom in your area has done this job sucessfully.
Please keep us posted, and let us know if you need anything else, c4c5

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
c4c5??

What is the most comon reason for a NEW operation??..........
Incorrect installation of the rings??.:(

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS C4C5 FOR YOUR ALWAYS TIMELY AND EXPERT ADVICE. :) :)

Any Forum members who have had either the re-ring job or PCV system replacement who can update us on your current experience after "THE REPAIR" ??

THANKS
GOLD72

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have heard that Bill Heard out by you has a good corvette guy. I would look at that as a good starting point.

Best of luck!

chris

·
Registered
117 Posts
My Z06 is in pieces right now getting the new rings (cringe).

Here's the rundown of how it went.

-got low oil warning on the way home from the factory.
-used 1 quart every 300-500 miles since then
-after watching everything progress here, decided to go in for fix
-dealership calls tech and they say to change the oil and charge me for it! They also check everything for leaks.
-went back to dealer every tank of gas and had oil measured and topped off
-guess what, it failed!
-parts took several months to arrive
-I will let you know how it comes out

The dealership (RK Chevrolet in Virginia Beach) has treated me well the entire time. Chevy customer service is a different story. After repeated phone calls they finally admitted that there was a problem with my car and that they would get parts to the dealer in a few months. This was after they blatantly lied to me on several occasions.

Lies told
-there is no problem
-problem is caused by the way I drive (this was from an interview with Chevy about the problem)
-new parts need to be designed to deal with the problem (this was after the 2002's started rolling off the line with the 'not yet designed' new parts in them)

Well, I can only take so much so I went to the BBB. Immediately Chevy customer service was returning my phone calls and offering to fix the problem. I decided to give them a shot and not get a lawyer for a lemon law buyback as so many others have successfully done. I did however insist on a 6 year/100,000 mile parts and labor warranty on the engine.

Moral of the story is that Chevy customer service sucks. Hopefully your local dealer is cool like mine, but you will still get better service if you involve the BBB.

Another note, since the problem was well publicized I felt the risk involved was worth it. What I mean is, a few years down the road when selling the car, you might be asked 'this was an '01 Z06, have the rings been fixed?'

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
H ithere,
Yes, it is usually misassembled ring gaps, and reversed rings.
Bestoall, c4c5:eek2:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
c4c5

I am really not surprised to hear this, it is what I have suspected.........

I am surprised that the folks doing this, were not supervised by anyone with a basic knowledge of HOW rings are put on pistons, and how to space them.......even I know that.....as well as a lot of folks on this board.

Conclusion.............IF you are going to have this done, make SURE the tech has done it before.
From this description, it sounds as if some rookies are at the helm.

Then of course, not EVERYONE is PAUL!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

"DON'T WE WISH!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
MJM - I have identical problem

I have told my story on another thread in the Grandstand....I too am using a quart or more every tank of gas....200 miles +_+
I fear rering time is approaching then off to buy a Viper (sorry Buds)

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
The more

I see this........the more I think the PCV system is a major culprit here...............
We all know the PCV system sucks fumes/vapors out of the crankcase, and into the intake to burn off the gases, etc......in the combustion & cats...........

My '01, is at over 1800 miles without adding a Qt...........and still the stick shows a tad above the ADD mark...........

Reference this, I do not consider a Qt per 1800/2000, excessive.........not with the way these turkeys spool up...........

On my air box lid change, I unhooked the intake hose........and checked BEHIND the Throttle valve.............there was oil on the bottom of the TB, around 10/15 drops all told.............

This is with 3500+ miles on the speedo.

I think, the PCV system is not separating the oil droplets form the crank......I think it's sucking WHOLE drops......and not filtering properly.....

Point of post.........replace the PCV system BEFORE the rings.......
Try this, and see if it does not make a major difference.......

don527, had an experience where his used NO oil for several K miles, and then all of a sudden sucked a Qt, in 800 miles....................this , to say the least is MAJOR leauge suspicious............you're thoughts??.....replies, etc.............:-?

·
Registered
30 Posts
z06ls6

Interesting option...I will try the dealer on this, but if the shop is not busy, assured be, that they will make work and say the PCV valve is not the culprit....good suggestion and thanks...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts