Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The open road racing in Nevada looks really interesting. I looked at the site and it wasn't totally clear what equipment is needed for a Z06. belts, extinguisher, roll bar?

I love those backroads of Nevada.
Will be passing through to Montana next week.
Would never think of speeding, I hate it when the insects that hit the edge of the fenders cut the paint at high speed. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Jim

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Jim, open road racing events are simply a blast, relatively safe and totally legal. I entered 11 races over the past 5 years which has enabled me to drive three different cars I have owned up to their top speeds. The best part is you get to SUSTAIN it . . . not just a quick burst up to speed for a few seconds. We're talking 30 minutes or so at continuous high speeds. These Nevada highways they use for these events are very suitable high speeds. The safety equipment required depends on entry category. For cars targeted to average 115 and under, all you need is a helmet and portable fire ext.
For speeds up to 150 (avg), you need five pt harness and nomex suit, gloves and shoes. For a late model Corvette Coupe (including the Z06) they waive the requirement for a roll bar, but don't confuse the need for a "harness" bar. It is merely a means to attach your shoulder belts that come over the seat. It is NOT a roll bar. There are various harness bars available for a C5 and
cost under $300, plus you'll need a set of 3" wide five point harness belts available from most racing supply stores. This device is a "bolt-in" accessory and does not require any holes to be drilled or other permanent modifications to a car. As far as the rules, they are available on line at the same website, which I believe you can D/L. I recommend filling out the information request form for an upcoming event, also available online, and then you will get all the info you need. The entry fee also depend on the average speed category and costs from $295 to $595. That may sound like a lot, but trust me, it is entirely worth it. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info,
It looks like something I'm really interested in. I'm too busy this fall, but come next spring and summer, I'll have a shot at it.
Start in the sub 115 class and if I really like it get the stuff to go faster.

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts