Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice times friends-thoise 60fts rock. I was wondering if you get wheel spin or wheel hop on your 1st to second gear change. My 02 gets wheel hop-and I know that chev changed the valving on the shocks for 02. Any idea how to get rid of the wheel hop?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Avoiding Wheel Hop

vortech,

Wheel hop can be induced in 1st, 2d or 3d if the driver over-powers available traction at the rear tires. Once the tires start to spin freely, the dreaded hop often, but not always, follows. When hop does occur, ease the throttle until the tires rehook and then progressively go back to WOT. If you remain at WOT during the hop, you can hit the rev limiter fast.

I never get wheel hop on the street and rarely get it on any decent drag strip surface. But when I do get hop, it's on the 1st-to-2d shift. I usually then try the other lane and find that it does not recur. If it does recur, I then use less throttle on that shift.

I'm usually running 22-24 psi in the rears at the track. If you're running 30 psi, you might try shedding some air.

You might also try keeping an MSExcel spreadsheet of your incremental drag splits. The 1st-to-2d shift occurs between the 60' and 330' markers. So calculating your incremental times for every run (330' minus 60') will help you understand better how you're holding traction. Ditto the 2d-to-3d shift which occurs after the 330 but before the 660' (660' minus 330').

Finally, those mid-1.8x 60' I cut were on a well prepared track. On test and tune at my local track where they make you drive through the water, I'm usually cutting 2.00-2.05. That is no better than average.

Hope this helps,

Ranger

1 - 3 of 3 Posts