Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a small scrape under the passenger side rocker panel. When I get it fixed, I am considering having them buff out the paint [black] to remove the small scratches in the clearcoat that regular Zaino-ing, etc. will not remove/cover.

When they do something like this, how much clear is removed? Is this a bad idea? BTW-A professional paint shop will be doing this NOT one of the dealer monkeys. Thanks

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Very little clear is actually removed during the buffing process. However, if you have them use wet/dry abrasive paper to get rid of orange peel, that's a different story. Clear coat on most newer cars is pretty thick. An experienced shop will have no problem doing the job correctly and successfully.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
JKLNHDE said:
I put a small scrape under the passenger side rocker panel. When I get it fixed, I am considering having them buff out the paint [black] to remove the small scratches in the clearcoat that regular Zaino-ing, etc. will not remove/cover.

When they do something like this, how much clear is removed? Is this a bad idea? BTW-A professional paint shop will be doing this NOT one of the dealer monkeys. Thanks
I would want to see the work they have done on a black car first. Turning someone loose with a buffer on a black car could be a big mistake. I think I would strip off any wax on your car and hand rub the surface to remove the light scratches. PC Fusion from Zaino and Adam's would be my first choice. I have hand compounded my dark blue Coupe with the Fusion and it removed the "fine" scratches, the surface looks better than new. Wheel marks are very hard to remove if it's not done correctly. There is no shortcut to a good finish.

D.J. :thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts