Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to repair a paint chip on my hood? I can see the white plastic underneath. Should I just have the hood repainted?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Here is a link to a possible fix. I have not used this personally. I heard of people that have used it with varying results. Some good some not so good. Hope this helps....

http://www.langka.com

01 Z06 -MY/BLK,Zaino,Lowered,Ripper,Halltech Tric Ti,MAG,Magic Box - No time slips yet
92 RS ProStreet Camaro (454) - Best E.T to date 10.15 @ 136 mph

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hmm... Are the chips really big, and/or are there a lot of them? 'Cause I noticed a couple on my car, but was pretty psyched that I couldn't see them too well against the yellow paint...

-Kirk

·
Registered
175 Posts
I can tell you a fool proof way to repair paint chips, but it can be a pain in the ass. The hard way: load some thinned out (with laquer thinnner) touch-up paint into an airbrush, aircompressor required, and spray over the area. Then let it dry for a few minutes and use some Mequires Cleaner (step 1) on a cotton towl to remove the excess, as if you were waxing the car with it, and what is left over will fill in the chip. Note: you need to make sure to get all overspray off, which is what makes this a pain in the ass.
The easier way:
Take some touch-up paint on a fine point brush and fill in the chip. Then take your finger and rub the blob of paint over the chip and surrounding area. Repeat several times. Then take the Mequires I described above and remove the excess. Note: It will look really bad until you use the cleaner, dont let this worry you.
Either way will work every time, unless the chips are really huge. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

BTW: As promised, I tried out GS-27 with the Crayons. That stuff sucks, although it may work if you have a white or black car. I had a color match problem with torch red.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I am looking into a company called AeroColours. They are a chain like Novus (windshield chips) that specializes in fixing small paint problems without major painting, sanding, etc. I will post any info when I find out.

HarleyB

'01 Quicksilver/Black Z06 •SilverShark•

Throttle Depressed. Driver Very Happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts