Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, it had to happen sooner or later.

I got my first paint chips last night at the track when an 8 second beast did a monster burn out about 30 feet directly in front of my car. During the burn out, it threw a large chunk of rubber up in the air and on to the hood of my car. After I cleaned off lots of little rubber marks, I found three small chips in the hood, ouch. :cry:

I'm curious what other forum members have done to repair their cars, take it to the dealer or DIY?

Does Chevy have a Millennium Yellow touch up kit?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
You should be able to get touch-up paint at the dealer. I usually have pretty good results doing touchup myself. Use a small brush and a magnifying glass with good light for the best results.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Don't even think up using the touch up paint you can get from the dealer. It is not even the same kind of paint. The best you can get is from Ultimate Touch-Up . You get a bottle of the actual paint the factory uses, a bottle of clear coat, a bottle of blender and the accessories you need to use it. I just repaired a chip on the leading edge of my headlights and you can't even tell it was there.

A satisfied customer.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Ditto Steve Belmont....Ultimate touch Up is the way to go!

Sorry to hear about your paint chips on that new Vet!

Zippy :) :)

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll give the Ultimate touch up a try.

H

·
0 Posts
EB

The Electron Blue chips turn white. Not very pretty. Thanks for the information.

Jim

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'm lazy

can I pay one of you to apply the product? My wife will make a tray of lasagna and I will keep the tech's belly full of beer. It's worth $125/hr to me---and that is what I'm paying.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Guys,

I sent an email to Joe Fink, the owner of Ultimate Touch-up. I wanted some details on his kit and how it is better than Langka, the two kits I am evaluating. Here is his response:

"First of all, the paint I sell is a basecoat/clearcoat paint which is what the factory put on your car. The dealership paint is a one stage urethane which is like putting an orange peel back on an apple, most of the time it is not an exact match.
My paint will last at least 5-7 years if the lid is screwed back on tight. I know this because when I started I have put bottles back and dated them to see for sure how long it would last. Not one paint has gone bad yet.
The special blender in my kit works like the Langka except it is a liquid instead of a paste.
Your garage would be fine to work in, or outside if it is over 50 degrees.
Please let me know if I may be
of further assistance to you."

I am sold. I don't want to screw up my paint using the dealer touch-up. I am going with this kit. After I use it I will post my impressions (might be a while).

- Charley

·
Registered
428 Posts
The touch up paint you are referring to may be what the factory uses to touch up with (accidents happen on line). It may be a very fine product and concept, but it isn't what they are using in the spray booth.
Mash

·
Registered
764 Posts
[I'm curious what other forum members have done to repair their cars, take it to the dealer or DIY?

Does Chevy have a Millennium Yellow touch up kit? [/B]
Never, ever use the touch up paint from GM on your MY!

Joe Fink at the Ultimate Touch Up offers a great system for the guy who wants to attempt this himself. I have used it on both my Black and Yellow Z's with excellent results. My repairs however, were very small and the color match was perfect.

The code number for the MY is WA-423G and Joe Fink's number is 888-820-0976. He uses a PPG automotive blending system. Very accurate and high quaility automotive coatings. With the larger chips, he will send you a needle applicator that can be used to "inject" the paint very accurately into the area to be repaired.

I will say, that trying to do critical repairs with paint is always a difficult job for the do it yourselfer. Sometimes it can be best to hire a professional!

Sorry to hear about the problem, good luck with the repairs! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts