Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, was thinking about painting or powder coating
wheels.What would be the best choice pros cons.
Does anyone know of a good shop to have this work done,im
in the ventura/L.A area.Thank you in advance for the help :z:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Paint pros: gets into all area's for a clean even finish
Paint cons: they will chip! especially around the center caps and lug nuts.
PC pros

PC pros: very durable can look as good as paint.
PC cons: hard to find a pc'er that will do it right the first time.
hard to get a even coat in lug holes.
i had a problem of them coming back with dust/dirt in it.

so i finaly ended up painting them. i was very disapointed on how the paint would chip. i recently cliped a curb :mah: and decided to have them refinished w/pc. so far its been 7 weeks and still no wheels. they had to sen them back to the pc'er because it didn't coat the lug holes.

im hoping to get them back sometime this summer but i wont hold my breath :roll:

·
Registered
244 Posts
My stock 01 wheels are starting to chip, and I too would love to paint the centers black, and have the outer lip polished.
Only thing is, the car would be on jack stands till they come back!:bang:

·
Registered
76 Posts
z06ms04 said:
hello everyone, was thinking about painting or powder coating
wheels.What would be the best choice pros cons.
Does anyone know of a good shop to have this work done,im
in the ventura/L.A area.Thank you in advance for the help :z:
i got my 04z06 wheels chrome power coated. looks like chrome plating, but with a very-very slight smoke tint - looks great on my black z06. had it done at motomotion in medina ohio. BTW, they send them out to a place in california. seems that there only a few places doing chrome power coating on wheels. i've had them for about a year now, and no complaints.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Mine are painted gloss black with a polished lip and I haven't had any problems with them. They wipe clean very easily, no scrubbing.

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
I had Panther Wheels do my 01 OEM wheels, painted black with a polished lip. No issues and I have had the wheels on for about 2 years now.

Mark

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Paint or Polish or Polish and Anodize.

DO Not Powder Coat

I personal do not like or recommend Chrome as it is too heavy and too hard to maintain.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Awhile back i talked to someone at Panther and they told me that they do not powder coat as it makes the wheels too stiff, kind of like chrome plating, and he said that is why you won't see many racers using a chrome wheel at the tracks.
just my $.02

Peeling Out
On powder coat wheels:blush:
Ted :cheers: :usa:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts